Go Back   Black Mesa: Community Forums > Sector C > Leak-Free

Leak-Free Discussions related to Source engine development.

Old 26-10-12, 04:38   #1
dky.tehkingd.u
Alien Grunt

Send a message via AIM to dky.tehkingd.u Send a message via Skype™ to dky.tehkingd.u

Community Project - Hazard Course Remake (Mapping)

New thread. Continue discussion here. Will edit and flesh out the OP when I have the time (not tonight).

So basically the gist of it is that some guys around here decided that we should remake the Hazard Course out of nostalgia since the BM Devs won't do it. We've made some progress and have a team, of sorts.

Black Mesa: Hazard Course

Overview
Black Mesa: Hazard Course is an add-on for the Source Engine mod Black Mesa, featuring a completely new perspective on Half-Life's Hazard Course. The Black Mesa Hazard Course will feature:

-New HD models & textures
-New dialogue & voice acting
-New maps and detailed environments
-Expanded intro, similar to Half-Life's PS2 version

Since this is a community project, we welcome people to help out in any way, from suggestions to fanmade content. Currently we are looking for people to fill these positions:

-Animator
-Texture/Decal Artist
-Choreographer

Any suggestions (within reasonable bounds, of course) are also welcome from anybody!

Media Policy
Remember that great mod, Black Mesa? Anyone familiar with the Black Mesa mod and its agonizing development cycle may remember long periods of media blackout. Since this is a community project rather than a full-fledged modding team, we are pleased to announce that, unlike the original mod, it will be our policy to strive to be as open as possible with the development process!

That's right. Expect to see half-finished areas, heavy WIP, and lots and LOTS of orange and gray "dev" textures!

We do, however, announce this policy with a disclaimer: We hope that all of our followers will try their best to be as mature as possible, and realize that due to the open nature of our development process, the vast majority of media that will be released will NOT in any way be fully representative of the final product.

This can be a good thing! It allows YOU, the followers, to give feedback early, so that we can make easy changes to give YOU what you want!

So criticize away! Just keep it civil!

Requirements
Black Mesa: Hazard Course requires:
-The free Source SDK Base 2007
-Black Mesa

ModDB Link
We're also on ModDB! Make sure to drop by and follow us for mediaz and updates and such!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/black-mesa-hazard-course

Thank you, and have a very safe, and productive day.

Last edited by dky.tehkingd.u; 03-03-13 at 13:41..
Old 26-10-12, 04:53   #2
Crypt
Alien Grunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Crypt

Here's our notable images from the last thread, organized in order of appearance (in game):
EDIT: Most of these images are heavily outdated. I'm leaving them because reasons.

By TehBoxNoob

By TehBoxNoob

By Crypt

By Crypt

By Dky

By Dky

By JeffMOD

And of course, it's all early and heavy WIP.

Last edited by Crypt; 03-03-13 at 16:19.. Reason: March update
Old 26-10-12, 05:07   #3
darkone
Houndeye

Send a message via Skype™ to darkone

just needs a list of who's working on it and what they are working on cause there is a good amount of you guys working on this.

Old 26-10-12, 05:14   #4
Crypt
Alien Grunt

BoxNoob - Mapping
Crypt - Mapping
Dky - Mapping
JeffMOD - Choreography, Mapping
Lars - Prop modeling

That's those who have actually shown any work (and what they've currently shown work on).
As you can see, we're pretty good on mappers. Right now what we'd really love is a concept artist.

Last edited by Crypt; 16-02-13 at 06:50..
Old 26-10-12, 05:20   #5
darkone
Houndeye

to bad all I can do is simple top down paint imagery.. if I could draw I would try to help there. all I am good with is ideas.

Old 26-10-12, 05:26   #6
Wangman
Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac3d View Post
I posted a few in-game scripted sequence ideas in the Hazard Course thread that could take place in a cafeteria in between level segments in the Hazard Course (should they choose to include one) I'm making this thread to try and keep their thread clear of clutter while they do important stuff.

Feel free to post your own in-game BM conversations/sequences, they can be anywhere in the game, as long as they fit with the BM universe, I guess they could count as fan fics, oh well.

SCENARIO: After taking damage from something in the Hazard Course, Gordon walks into a cafeteria lounge, and sees Barney sitting at a table or leaning on a wall watching tv
Woah, man-let me guess.. get into an argument with one of the female scientists again? here, it's on the house *holds out drink for player*
Havin' a bad day champ? nothin' a cold frosty Poke can't fix *holds out drink for player*
Now, just to be clear, this counts as the drink, okay? *holds out drink for player*
Freeman, catch! *lobs the can to the player, will automatically be consumed on contact*

SCENARIO: A group of scientists (2 or 3) and security guards (1 or 2) sitting at a table playing a game of poker
*One of the scientists grabs a card*
Well?
Well what?
It's your move, Richard.
I know, I know.. [Under Breath] Ah crap..
Uh, hey, didn't they just call your name over the PA?
Quit stalling, you're simply delaying the inevitable.
*The player can walk around the table and see each player's cards*
*When the player stands behind Guard 1 and looks at his cards, he sees that he has the losing hand, this initiates the next script*
ah, AH, AAAAAHHH CHOO!
*everyone drops their cards, they fly all around the table*
My.. god!
Cover your mouth, you're spreading germs everywhere!
Hoooly hell!
*The cards fall to the table and finally stop moving*
..Heh, sorry about that fellas, I guess we're gonna have to start over.

SCENARIO: Same poker scene, this time no scripted animation, if the player presses E on one of the scientists:
Stay back Freeman, who knows what biohazards you could've picked up in the Hazard Course with that suit of yours..
The only biohazard here is your fasion sense
*laughter*
*laughter*
*Scientist looks at the other players with a puzzled face*
What's wrong with my polkadot tie?

SCENARIO: A scientist is standing next to a security guard while he plays a Missile Command arcade machine
Címon ya alien bastards!
*The machine yells out*
GAME OVER
Damn it!
Mind if I have a turn?
Huh, knock yourself out
*The scientist excels at the game, in less than 5 seconds he completes the first level*
LEVEL ONE COMPLETE
*The Security guard lets out a sarcastic exhale and crosses his arms as he continues to watch the scientist advance to level 2*
You see my friend, the key to victory is strategy
Oh yeah?
*The security guard walks over to the side of the machine while the scientist is still playing*
Well hereís my strategy
*The Security Guard drop kicks the side of the arcade machine*
*The scientist jumps back surprised*
Oh dear!
WARNING! WARNING! WArNRSHD- WAHRLH-WREEhjhablurrrrr...
*Coins begin to pour out of the machine like water*
Hohoo yeah, come to papa!
*The security guard scoops up a bunch of coins into his arms*
*The scientist looks around to see if anyoneís noticed*
I do believe some pepperoni pizza is in order, come on buddy, my treat
*The security guard begins to walk over to the canteen with his heap of stolen coins*
*The scientist puts his hand on his forehead, sighs, and shakes his head in disapproval*
*the scientist then proceeds to follow the security guard*

SCENARIO: Gordon walks up to a scientist and guard having a discreet conversation
*Theyíre talking about a female scientist, who is a few metres away at the canteen with her back turned to them, gathering various food onto her tray*
But I donít know what to say to her
Ah come on, just say the first thing that comes to your mind
..Nothingís coming to my mind!
Alright alright, fine, Iíll tell you what to say
*the security guard whispers something into his ear*
Now go over there and hit a home run
*The scientist stands up, straightens his tie and takes in a deep breath, he then nervously walks over to the woman*
*the scientist stands next to her, she doesnít seem to notice him, she continues to study the food*
Um, hello Annette
Ah, Walter, what is it?
There's something I need to to tell you, my density, has popped me to you
Um, excuse me doctor?
Oh, Iím terribly sorry, what I meant to say is, my destiny, has brought me to you
Wait a minute, isnít that a line from Back to The Future?
Uh, well-
Thatís one of my most favourite science fiction films of all time!
Really?
*The scientist plays it cool*
M-Mine too!
Come, you must meet my colleagues
*The female scientist wraps her arm around his, leading him off to her group of friends*
*The scientist looks at the security guard and gives him a cheesy thumbs up*
*The security guard sarcastically gives a thumbs up back*
*The Security Guard says to himself*
I donít know how these kids ever survived without me

SCENARIO: Gordon walks into an office and sees a scientist under his desk looking for something
Now where did I put my glasses?
*The player can see that his glasses are on top of his desk, when he places them on the floor in front of the scientist, the next script is activated*
There they are!
(Achievement completed)
*The scientist puts on his glasses, and then realises Gordon is standing there*
Oh hello Gordon Freeman, it's good to see you

SCENARIO: Gordon sneaks up on two soldiers
Arrhh, where the hell are those guys? I'm starving!
Relax man, our shift's over in 10 minutes
aaaah I can't take it anymore!
*The soldier uses his weapon to smash open a candy machine*
Haha, now that's using your noodle!
Just shut up and help me
*Both the soldiers kneel down to grab the food, they stay in this postition until Gordon attracts their attention or kills them*

SCENARIO: Gordon hears a scientist and soldier in the next room
There, I've shown you to the weapons locker, now will you please let me go?
Hmm, I'll think about it..
*gunfire*

SCENARIO: Gordon sees two scientists and a security guard crouching behind a cateen counter watching something in the kitchen
What the hell is that thing? some sort of squid chicken?
I'd say it's more of a "bull squid"
Well, whatever it is, it's going through our whole food supply, we gotta take it out
*Security Guard looks at the player*
You with us, buddy?
These were originally posted by ac3d. Several of them are pretty good and could be potentially be adapted to the Hazard Course.

Old 26-10-12, 06:07   #7
darkone
Houndeye

Know this might be a waist but here are some of my ideas. (mainly becuase I suck at telling ideas)

flash light puzzle area idea:
the player starts in a air lock of sorts, in this small airlock is 2 doors and a window in which a player can see a guard. teh guard informs the player that they will be required to use their flashlight and flairs for the next room.

guard says something like this before entering:
Ok freeman your going to need to use that flashlight of yours to navigate the next room, pauses to turn out the lights just a word of warning though its set to turn off after you turn the first two valves.

the room: the room is a simple maze made out of a old storage room, it requires the player to find and turn 4 valves which are needed top open the door leading out of the room. after turning the first 2 the players flashlight will die forcing them to use flares which can be found in boxes around the area each box would contain 4 to 6 flairs.
(can give a paint image of general idea if liked)

idea for swimming area:
hologram:up ahead you will learn how to navigate through water logged areas. for this exercise you will be given a crowbar.

the room: the player enters the room to see a large pool in front of them the pool the pool has a path marked through it, this path is marked by a make shift wall made out of unbreakable glass, the player must navigate this "maze" and get to the other side, in this maze is 3 obstacles.
the first being a barrier that is held in place by wooden boards, the player must break the boards to pass.
the second being some boxes that are blocking the path, the player must move or break them to pass.
the 3rd is a bridge that the player needs to raise to get out of the pool to do this they must place 2 or 3 barrels under it to raise it.
after finishing all 3 tasks the player can move to the next room (crowbar is auto striped and placed on a table at the end before leaving)

Old 26-10-12, 07:16   #8
TehBoxNoob
Houndeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Know this might be a waist but here are some of my ideas. (mainly becuase I suck at telling ideas)

flash light puzzle area idea:
the player starts in a air lock of sorts, in this small airlock is 2 doors and a window in which a player can see a guard. teh guard informs the player that they will be required to use their flashlight and flairs for the next room.

guard says something like this before entering:
Ok freeman your going to need to use that flashlight of yours to navigate the next room, pauses to turn out the lights just a word of warning though its set to turn off after you turn the first two valves.

the room: the room is a simple maze made out of a old storage room, it requires the player to find and turn 4 valves which are needed top open the door leading out of the room. after turning the first 2 the players flashlight will die forcing them to use flares which can be found in boxes around the area each box would contain 4 to 6 flairs.
(can give a paint image of general idea if liked)

idea for swimming area:
hologram:up ahead you will learn how to navigate through water logged areas. for this exercise you will be given a crowbar.

the room: the player enters the room to see a large pool in front of them the pool the pool has a path marked through it, this path is marked by a make shift wall made out of unbreakable glass, the player must navigate this "maze" and get to the other side, in this maze is 3 obstacles.
the first being a barrier that is held in place by wooden boards, the player must break the boards to pass.
the second being some boxes that are blocking the path, the player must move or break them to pass.
the 3rd is a bridge that the player needs to raise to get out of the pool to do this they must place 2 or 3 barrels under it to raise it.
after finishing all 3 tasks the player can move to the next room (crowbar is auto striped and placed on a table at the end before leaving)
I kind of like the airlock idea, but the flares in black mesa were used to kill zombies in mcase the guard died or the player didnt ask the guard to help and were not really ment as lighting purpose except if you got resolution fucken low i think.please use periods in your room parr,its not fun reading without

Old 26-10-12, 07:39   #9
Ramirezoid
Alien Grunt

I sincerely doubt the staff would refer to the female scientists as "female scientists." It's just not realistic. I would suggest replacing that bit with something a human being would actually say

Old 26-10-12, 08:01   #10
TehBoxNoob
Houndeye

Outdated media:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7si-xrmuPc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4W7eG2BNvs
Can't upload other media due dropbox website offline.

Old 26-10-12, 08:02   #11
Crypt
Alien Grunt

If you want to add more just add from the files that you already have on your harddrive.

Old 26-10-12, 08:03   #12
TehBoxNoob
Houndeye

Gonna upload dat shit to my site.
I'm to lazy to make a ImageShack account....

Old 26-10-12, 09:15   #13
elivance
Zombie

Location: Europe...It's the final countdown tatata tata ta ta ta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBoxNoob View Post
Gonna upload dat shit to my site.
I'm to lazy to make a ImageShack account....
you should google imgur.

I'm happy that you get rid of all that secrecy(redacted here, redacted there...).

A small advice
You'll be flooded with tips, judge them wisely.
Especially(I'm saying this to TehBoxNoob) Ronster he looms upon Sector C Forums

Old 26-10-12, 09:23   #14
TehBoxNoob
Houndeye

Terminal screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7i7jczse1nu4aqj/IXCDBqmCDX
All is outdated, and I can't post screenshots until tommorow because the current version has unfinished texturing and brushes and lights.

Old 26-10-12, 10:03   #15
Crypt
Alien Grunt

Damn, you went to fuckin' TOWN with the screenshots of that area, hahaha! But it looks pretty nice, if unfinishes, so why not show it off.

Also, I agree with Eli, use Imgur. It's simple and produces very short links. Like this for instance: http://i.imgur.com/b0TC3.jpg
Unless you want a very, very high quality shot, in which case use Dropbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elivance View Post
I'm happy that you get rid of all that secrecy(redacted here, redacted there...).
It was mostly teasing. From how on out anything really secret will be kept strictly between us. Like that [redacted] bit and the [cool_feature].

Old 26-10-12, 10:25   #16
dky.tehkingd.u
Alien Grunt

Send a message via AIM to dky.tehkingd.u Send a message via Skype™ to dky.tehkingd.u

There will be transparency and there will be some secrecy. Mainly because secrecy helps to ensure that it's friggin awesome the first time when you get to play it. It really spoils the fun when you know exactly what's gonna happen beforehand.

Old 26-10-12, 10:30   #17
Dragunov2
Houndeye

Indeed it is!

I know originally it was a kind of freighter elevator, it's much better if it's a terminal

Old 26-10-12, 10:33   #18
dky.tehkingd.u
Alien Grunt

Quote:
Terminal screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7i7jczse1nu4aqj/IXCDBqmCDX
All is outdated, and I can't post screenshots until tommorow because the current version has unfinished texturing and brushes and lights.
I think it would be safe to remove about half of the idling scientists... leave a few of them though, and explain it by saying that they're also Hazard Course trainees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypt19 View Post
As you can see, we're pretty good on mappers. Right now what we'd really love is a concept artist.
We also need an animator for Gina, and a dedicated choreographer. JeffMOD says that he isn't all that great at Faceposer overall. If he doesn't feel up to the task, we shouldn't have him do it.

Last edited by dky.tehkingd.u; 26-10-12 at 10:37..
Old 26-10-12, 10:50   #19
TehBoxNoob
Houndeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dky.tehkingd.u View Post
I think it would be safe to remove about half of the idling scientists... leave a few of them though, and explain it by saying that they're also Hazard Course trainees.

We also need an animator for Gina, and a dedicated choreographer. JeffMOD says that he isn't all that great at Faceposer overall. If he doesn't feel up to the task, we shouldn't have him do it.
I'm planning to make some choreography for them, but I want the community decide what kind of scenario they want on the terminal.
Jeff is pretty good at choreographing with trigger imo.
Eitherway any texture artist here that knows alot about VTF and VMF, because I really need some new skins for models.
@Dky I couldnt edit the Sector D to Sector A because my software is going nuts.
@Crypt & Eli I use Dropbox because its pretty easy to show off.I don't know if Google Imgur can share a whole folder of images in 1 page .
@Eli Ronster came up with lots of idea's, but most of them didnt make sense to the original or could not be made due lack of progamming assets(?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dky.tehkingd.u View Post
There will be transparency and there will be some secrecy. Mainly because secrecy helps to ensure that it's friggin awesome the first time when you get to play it. It really spoils the fun when you know exactly what's gonna happen beforehand.
Black Mesa development in another nutshell.

Last edited by TehBoxNoob; 26-10-12 at 10:56..
Old 26-10-12, 10:59   #20
dky.tehkingd.u
Alien Grunt

Quote:
Any development in another nutshell.
We never really did see a constant stream of orangemap and fullbright screenshots being released as official media.

Quote:
@Dky I couldnt edit the Sector D to Sector A because my software is going nuts.
Okay then, whenever you get that working let me know.