Reply to Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Logging in with you Steam ID has now been restored ♥

The last reply was more than 60 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

Information
Maximum file size: 10 MB
Allowed extensions: bmp, gif, jpeg, jpg, mp3, mp4, pdf, png, txt, zip
Automatically detects web page links.
Displays smilies as smiley-images.
Allows BBCodes to be used.

Previous Posts 21

• Really digging the new lights as applied to Questionable Ethics; this room is very very bright but I wanted to sort of set up a really cold, sterile feeling in the dissection labs and have most of the lighting contrast come from blue-versus-white color differences:

Also found the r_ambientlightingonly console command, which doesn't fix the problems with the props completely but does blank out the lightmaps (which are what renders wrong) and leaves a secondary lighting method so they don't go completely black.
  • It's a combination of the lightmap density of the floors being low and many of the props having their shadows disabled, which is actually inherited from the canon map (although it's less noticeable there because the map itself is so dark). I'll probably fix it when the static props themselves aren't such a giant pile of horrible.

The color is about as good as it's going to get on the current engine build, although once Black Mesa adds more support for color correction I may go back and tweak it. The textures are actually my own, as the canonical ones do not work well when taken out of that dark environment, and I may tweak their coloring as well (I'm particularly dissatisfied with the ceiling tiles, which look way too uniform and don't really show well the occasional darker tile that's on the canon texture).
  • Admiral Sakai wrote:

It's going to be fixed in the Xengine Update so I'm not really going out of my way to deal with it.
    Oh, okay. That makes sense. Overall, that picture is a massive improvement. Bright enough to be plausible, but not enough to wash everything out. I assume you're still working on the color, so I won't comment on that.

I am confused as to why there still appears to be no shadows cast on the floor by props. I assumed it was the constant light washing everything out in the first picture, but that shouldn't be the case here.
  • Pretty sure it only happens for named lights.

@jadebenn, I think you've hit the nail on the head as far as what the problem was with my earlier attempts at these maps; currently I am shooting for a kind of a happy medium where most areas are bright enough to be a pleasant workplace (unless they're, like, a maintenance closet or something), but there's still a clear falloff as one gets further and further away from the actual light sources. I've switched to the "more, smaller lights" paradigm and it seems to be working pretty well so far; it's difficult to work on these maps ATM though because decals, NPCs, and props are all currently very broken in how they light relative to world geometry and the engine fixes involved are IIRC wrapped up in the December Xen update. I'll be posting screenshots with a good amount of the glitchy stuff removed soon, however.
  • If you add more focused light sources, won't you have a higher chance of running into the lovely "TOO MANY LIGHT SOURCES ON BRUSH" compile error?
    Or does that only happen for named lights?