Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 802.

Logging in with you Steam ID has now been restored ♥

• So as I develop more and more of these documents, I am becoming less and less able to avoid the fact that I have no idea how Black Mesa's sectors and areas are organized, or what actually separates a sector from an area. Filling in the somewhat interpretive map I've been using for the pre-disaster project with known sectors from Black Mesa in solid and 'dubious' ones from the original Half-Life expansions that the revised game may not hold to in dashes, we get... kind of a mess. The sectors of t…

• It is entirely possible that the pools, antlions, and medical kits all contain the same active ingredient.

• I always assumed that since the Biodome security staff needed a weapon that could quickly subdue bullsquids and armored alien grunts, so they invested in ludicrously powerful crossbows that may include a small explosive charge to drive the injection system. I also think the xenians were discovered to respond differently to the anesthetic mixture overall and if the dart somehow manages not to kill or significantly injure a human by the force of its impact then the concentration of propofol and ad…

• Had a few hiccups on the way there (it turns out that overlays will stretch to fill the whole screen, causing the image to distort and change its aspect ratio; a fact which is made worse by the fact that the textures have to be powers of two so I can't just make one padded to the right aspect ratio from the start), but I think I've finally cracked the problem of displaying transparent overlays on the HUD: E3AE3719B21713BC9E39C26AFEDA7859EFD23817 This was accomplished in a rather roundabout way u…

• I was originally planning to have them as printed text on the screen when you click on a document, which would allow them to be added to the localization system and translated into additional languages as well as making them easier to add and edit. I had considered making them visual textures, but those would be harder to translate and more time-consuming to make. I may in fact do that, however, as I believe I can get that working with an env_screenoverlay where I previously could not.

• So, I'm still really drawn to the idea of including readable papers in the pre-disaster maps, and have put together some examples of ones I might include: Office Complex: (Hidden Content) (Hidden Content) (Hidden Content) Questionable Ethics: (Hidden Content) (Hidden Content) (Hidden Content) Unfortunately, I am still somewhat at a loss as to how to get these into the game, as localized text (which includes things like being able to produce messages greater than 255 characters and set the color)…

• If Captain Mitchell does not make an appearance I will be sorely disappointed.

• VPK should dump the unpacked folder into the same directory as the VPK. For instance, bms_maps_dir.vpk will make a folder called bms_maps_dir right next to itself.

• You know what I would like to see in Xen? Some sort of zombie Xenian. All of the zombies we see in-game are human, which is rather odd because humans are not native to that dimension and cannot have served as a reliable host/prey species for headcrabs over most of their evolution. What do they normally zombify instead? Vortigaunts?

• The Combine never really struck me as big on secrecy or deniability in general, and if that was really their goal they are doing a pretty terrible job of it considering that the shells are clearly made of Combine materials and nobody else on Earth has the ability or for that matter the desire to create anything like them. But then again basically nothing else about the Combine made any sense to me either, and I never really thought of Black Mesa as occupying the same continuity as Half-Life 2, s…

• Progress on the re-imagining of Map B is coming along very well; it's a very large map when you get right down to it but I am incredibly happy with it. ADDFBE4FD53884A0E64FCDCF794CB18F5A0E9F7C One thing I was thinking of doing with the pre-disaster maps in general was adding readable documents- papers, folders, bulletin boards, and computer monitors that when clicked on display text on the screen. However, I have not been able to find a good system to do that. Game_text entities have a limited m…

• Which version of the game is being used? Maps compiled for the pre-public-beta version of Black Mesa (most of the ones on the Workshop) will crash the public beta version on startup, and vice versa.

• Xen was actually released a year ago; we've all just been participating in a massive conspiracy to keep everyone who posted annoying when-Xen posts from learning about it. tumblr_nn7cdmaqns1szfigoo1_500.gif

• Adding world portals

Admiral Sakai - - In-game Issues

This actually would help with a number of maps that don't quite fit together (I'm looking at you, c1a2c...), but I have *no* idea how these would play with Black Mesa's substantially different codebase. The effect can in many cases be faked with hidden trigger_teleports- take a look at bm_c1a4c or my upcoming pd_c1a2a for examples of this.

• General Xen Chit-Chat Thread

Admiral Sakai - - The Cafeteria

I don't know if even Breen and the rest of the Anomalous Materials team had any clear idea what was going to happen. They were aware that something dangerous might happen with the AMS in that configuration, but give no indication of being aware of the Xen sample's actual properties- there's a big difference between "we might just fry a million-dollar piece of equipment" and "we might just wreck a ten-billion-dollar facility and kill like three thousand staff" levels of acceptable risk. However, …

• General Xen Chit-Chat Thread

Admiral Sakai - - The Cafeteria

Counting headcrabs, bullsquids, tentacles, houndeyes, and the sapient Xenians there's five; nine if you consider controllers, grunts, slaves, and gargantuas as separate species; eleven if you include the zapper and stabber plants as enemies.

• Quote from darkone: “if there is any wildlife I would like to see from cut half life things it would be these flocking floaters half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Flocking_Floater they would be a good ranged enemy weak in health but swarm in numbers. with a group likely being taken out with one explosive and some aim. sukabat half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Stukabat Mostly as I can see them as a hazard the player can think their way around, you have 10 of them on the ceilling your RPG or GL will only get about 6…

• We were able to see some of the entities added for Xen- things like suicide Houndeyes. "Mr. Friendly" was not among them, which I honestly wasn't too torn up about because aesthetically that enemy is very different from all of the other Xenian creatures we've seen and I'm not sure what gameplay role it would actually serve.

• According to the TV in Anomalous Materials, the security levels (at least for that section) are broken down as follows: Level 1 Access to immediate test labs and staff relaxation areas. Level 2 Level 1 access, with security clearance for administration and server control rooms. Level 3 Level 2 access, with security clearance for test chamber controls, test chambers, and maintenance areas. Level 4 Unrestricted access to all lab areas. So it looks like each individual lab has different security le…

• There are at least four known security 'levels' (1 - 4, from television screens in Anomalous Materials) as well as four descriptors occasionally used (signs mention a Low, Medium, and High security storage facility, as well as just a storage facility with no security tag); places like the Lambda Complex and Biodome might have higher security clearances not made known to the rest of the facility. Gordon's position is given as 'research associate', which is a real position and actually a pretty lo…