Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

Logging in with you Steam ID has now been restored ♥

• It's down to the dedicated server owners to set up their servers correctly to handle downloading files and such, and on them to keep their maps up to date too. When we first were implementing workshop support we looked into allowing it to all be done automatically (like CS:GO), but the system was too complicated and required some coordination with Valve, which we weren't able to fully organise. For modders, put everything in VPKs. Use a separate VPK for each type of resource (each VPK must be un…

• On and off I've been trying to write a definitive "the history and design of Xen" dev blog. But, unfortunately, I keep getting waylaid by actual Xen work. Curses!

• We're pretty sure it's a malicious attack, at this point. There's no way their spam is paying off with even a single conversion, this is a super low traffic forum. They've circumvented literally every security measure we've ever put in place, so we think it's probably being handled manually.

• 56730ba24a9cb2e908c2735e70f7675d3dcf3aba.jpg Xen Engine Public Release We have patched the latest version of the Xen Engine and released it to everyone. Please let us know on the Steam forums if you run into any game breaking issues. As we have mentioned before, this is important to test our new features so that the Xen release can be as flawless as possible. We will probably do one more “Engine” release just before we drop Xen, in order to make sure that everything is running smoothly on everyo…

• General Xen Chit-Chat Thread

TextFAMGUY1 - - The Cafeteria

You shouldn't use MSAA for now. We will implement properly working AA options in the future.

• Spot lights do not support godrays. There's some fancy schmancy programming reason for this, but basically it destroys performance. The shadow maps do impact performance, and there is a pretty hard limit on the number allowed in the map (I think it's like...60, but each point light will take up 6). Do not have them on unless they add significantly to the scene.

• Quote from FireFly: “Are there plans for the flashlight to cast shadows? Sorry, I asked this in the Steam thread, but I didn't see an answer. ” I believe the plan is to eventually give the flashlight a nicer looking cookie texture (so it looks less like a bright white light and more like...a flashlight), give it its dynamic shadows back (using our new dynamic light implementation) and to also give it a slight jiggle when you walk. We just didn't quite have the time to complete the feature in a b…

• Quote from JeffMOD: “Having had a chance to do a quick look around and use the new crossbow, I have to say I disagree with the changes made with it. While the new scope model is really nice, I hate how using the scope now just instantly flips to what appears to be a flat texture drawn onto the HUD in a single frame. That's going to have serious repercussions in multiplayer, since now people can quickscope, and it kind of breaks the immersion in singleplayer because there's no in-between transiti…

• FxOjzO3.jpg Happy Holidays, and happy Steam Winter Sale everyone! Black Mesa is currently $4.99, our largest discount yet. We released an update for Black Mesa (currently on public beta) that adds real-time dynamic lights, lens flares, god rays, and a host of other features to the existing earthbound sections of the game. The goal of this update is to get the released version of the game as close to our internal build as possible. This way, the final Xen release can be closer to a simple map dro…

• Quote from jessiestorm88: “That's why I am a little surprised that it hasn't dropped already. Either it's just not done or maybe they are just holding off for Christmas day at this point? ” We're putting on the finishing touches. Stay tuned. Trust me - we want this out the door soon too, but, as always, we want to do it right!

• You don't need our blessing for workshop maps. Do entirely as you wish! Even if we ended up doing the maps at some point, having multiple interpretations doesn't hurt, and we never had a problem with that. We have internally done versions of all 4 maps: - Datacore never really made it past the drawing board stage. We found its gameplay to be really dull and uninteresting, and didn't deem it worthwhile to pursue. - Rapidcore and Snarkpit ended up with unpolished blockout versions. Rapidcore had a…

• Expert compile for Black Mesa

TextFAMGUY1 - - Help!

10 whole minutes? Haha, that's kindergarten stuff. Map G of STU takes 2 hours 30 for a VRAD final compile! You have to use env_cascade_light AND ALSO -cascadeshadows switch to VRAD. I think there are certain scenarios where you don't have to use the switch, but I can't remember what they are anymore. CSM has been entirely rewritten for the Xengine, anyway, so it will all change soon. IIRC on the new version you need only newLight_dir (the dynamic sun entity) and env_cascade_light.

• Yeah something was different in the physics of retail vs the mod engine. We don't have access to physics source code unfortunately, as it's licensed to Havok and Valve don't give the code out either (probably because they can't). It worked fine on the mod engine, was broken on the retail engine, and there wasn't really anything we could do to change that at all. You'd get stuck in the boxes and jumping was really difficult. We tried many different workarounds (invisible parented func_brush, prop…

• Though I can't state for sure due to obvious reasons, I can say with reasonable confidence that you'll get this year's December update at some point in the next 100 years.

• Quote from jadebenn: “Speaking of new features, will there be a toggle to disable color correction and/or lens flare? I promise to give both of them a fair try, but I want to know the option will be there if I prefer something closer to the way things look now. ” Lens Flare yes, Colour Correction...I'm not sure. It's a little bit of a tough one as in some places in the game we've considered CC to be integral to the look and feel of the scenes. We haven't decided yet whether it's going to be togg…

• Quote from Admiral Sakai: “Do the d-lights combine for identical lightstyles like conventional named lights do? Where is their data stored- entity lump, lightmap lump, elsewhere? ” Chetan will be the man for answering this question, but I can tell you based on my limited knowledge of working with the lights. They're nothing like conventional lights and it's probably best to forget everything you know when it comes to using the new dlights. Apply UE4 knowledge rather than Source knowledge for the…

• Bad News, Good News

TextFAMGUY1 - - News & Developer Updates

1be45c913ae11f9ce1a037c376444aa6cc5f2e2a.jpg Straight to the bad news: we are pushing back the release of Xen. We are truly sorry for getting everyone's hopes up and then delaying... again. We worked very hard to make December, but we are not yet ready. As a team, we take FULL responsibility for that. We have an internal deadline we are confident in, and we will be getting everyone more details as we get closer to that date. Thank you again to our community and Early Access supporters. The fundi…

• Summer Update

It's a shame that guy seems to attacks programmers on our team specifically, because I would argue that, since the retail release, programming have been the department who have most consistently delivered on what was needed and have most consistently had their shit together, saving all our asses. Our level designers? Man, those guys are the real incompetent ones! /sarcasm, in case it was needed! Quote from Crypt: “"Claiming fraud and getting a damn fucking refund" is my new go-to phrase after su…

• Quote from Kaltsu: “Well, delayed. Again. But no biggie, good stuff takes a good amount of time and at least we get that super awesome engine update! But I´d also like to know when will Workshop work again, like it worked in the beginning? So that you could just sub a mod without hassling with dev. console or setting up extra folders and such? ” What's not working about the workshop? Last time I checked, we hadn't changed anything, and everything was working okay enough. Quote from k3nny1550: “C…

• Summer Update

We're keeping it internal until we are absolutely 100% confident we can meet it. We were very confident about December too, and that did not go as planned, so we will not make the same mistake 3 (THREE) times.