Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 87.

Logging in with you Steam ID has now been restored ♥

• Quote from JeffMOD: “Is it intentional that the newLight_spot entity doesn't have any Godray options, or did that just get left out of the FGD? Also, how big of a hit on performance do the shadow maps take? I've been considering modifying my copy of the FGD to make that "on" by default. ” I can't speak to your other questions, but there is a godray toggle on the lights, even if it's not present in the FGD. I know this because I was using EntSpy to copy them from c2a2a into one of my previously-c…

• Quote from Kaltsu: “Black Mesa looks incredible now! Am I just imagining it or are the colours in general somehow different now? They look more balanced and realistic, not sure how to explain it... ” That would be the color correction. I had to admit, I was quite worried about it, but it seems to have turned out well.

• Quote from JeffMOD: “Quote from The Sink God: “I was looking to make some announcer lines for a project, and really liked the sound of the announcer (non-military) in Black Mesa. I was wondering, what effects were applied to the voice to make it sound like it does? I'd love to re-create the voice using some TTS client out there (not looking to hire a voice actor) but I don't know how the voice was made to sound how it does. ” In general, for that kind of PA system you'd want to apply an EQ to ge…

• Quote from SincerelyHuman: “Why are these props blinking? bc8iavctpm201.gif ” Z-fighting perhaps? Or it might be some of the weird behavior that I've found when you make glass a world brush. Have you tried tying the window to a func_detail? That might help if you haven't done so already.

• Quote from TextFAMGUY1: “Don't bother fixing this. I asked our graphics programmer, Chetan, and he said that this happens because non-bumpmapped props are vertex lit instead of pixel lit. This was some kind of CSM hack, from what I can tell. He said that in the Xen build, all props are pixel lit. So this issue should go away with the Xen update, hopefully. Nice catch, though! Good bug hunting! ” @TextFAMGUY1 You said this earlier on a different thread speaking about prop lighting issues, and I d…

• Quote from Admiral Sakai: “It's going to be fixed in the Xengine Update so I'm not really going out of my way to deal with it. ” Oh, okay. That makes sense. Overall, that picture is a massive improvement. Bright enough to be plausible, but not enough to wash everything out. I assume you're still working on the color, so I won't comment on that. I am confused as to why there still appears to be no shadows cast on the floor by props. I assumed it was the constant light washing everything out in th…

• Quote from Admiral Sakai: “I deliberately disabled prop lighting because things like the billboards light waaaay too brightly. ” You could probably fix that by attaching the billboard to a lighting origin placed in a slightly dimmer room.

• I wonder why you're not getting prop lighting. You should at least be getting point lighting, if not vertex. Are you compiling with -staticproplighting?

• @Admiral Sakai I believe the reason you're having so much trouble with lighting is that you're using it in ways it was never designed to be used. Let me explain. Like all game lights, Source lights aren't very realistic. They don't behave as real lights do. We can work around this with clever usage of point lights and spotlights, but the fact remains that these lights don't work realistically, and you're making a lot of unnecessary work for yourself by trying to make them do so. I'll bring up a …

• Quote from Maxey: “Quote from JeffMOD: “Quote from Maxey: “Dump Havok and implement a free open-source physics engine, like Bullet. ” I'm actually kind of sad Valve didn't offer to let them try out Rubikon. Would be a good way for them to get some practical data to see how it handles in an actual game. ” Valve and game in the same sentence? Hahah.Would it be possible to still implement Bullet and simply ignore Havok without having to heavily rewrite everything? ” No. The fact of the matter is th…

• Expert compile for Black Mesa

jadebenn - - Help!

Quote from TextFAMGUY1: “10 whole minutes? Haha, that's kindergarten stuff. Map G of STU takes 2 hours 30 for a VRAD final compile! You have to use env_cascade_light AND ALSO -cascadeshadows switch to VRAD. I think there are certain scenarios where you don't have to use the switch, but I can't remember what they are anymore. CSM has been entirely rewritten for the Xengine, anyway, so it will all change soon. IIRC on the new version you need only newLight_dir (the dynamic sun entity) and env_casc…

• Quote from Maxey: “Dump Havok and implement a free open-source physics engine, like Bullet. ” That would require rewriting every portion of the Source engine that's integrated with Havok, including the entirety of Vphysics, and any entities that call on Vphysics or rely on it (almost all of them). Don't count on it.

jadebenn - - Help!

Quote from Crypt: “Nope, env_cascade_light. ” Is -cascadeshadows actually a command then? Or is it just something I somehow made up? Quote from PootisMan: “Also question does HTCT have the new RAD options exclusive to Black Mesa like Ambient Occlusion or Cascade Shadow Mapping? ” Not in the default configuration, but it's pretty trivial to add using the config file. Just scroll to the vrad section and add the lines: Source Code (2 lines)Now that I've switched to using HTCT for all my compiles, I…

• Quote from JeffMOD: “Is there any chance we'll get physically-simulated boxes back in the 'box-smashing room' in c1a1e? The subtle sway of the boxes as you landed on them really sold the "suspended hundreds of feet in the air" feeling, and having them be prop_dynamic just isn't the same. Not sure when this was patched out, but it added to the tension in the mod version at the very least. ” I believe they were removed due to physics bugs making them very 'sticky' and hard to jump off of. It's in …

jadebenn - - Help!

Quote from Crypt: “At the moment you don't need any special parameters for CSM, just the appropriate entity. It's also got AO, and I believe you can use chain parameters as well. I'm sure DKY will update with any new parameters after the December update. ” I was under the impression you needed to run vrad with the '-cascadeshadows' option? That's what I've been doing.

• Quote from .RK: “I know that vent. I also converted that to a model when I did stuff during development. What the hell? If you did removed that track, I would suppose that change will get reflected in the switchboard (if it's even still there in your version; it looks like it is but it's a bit hard to see from that angle). ” I mean, It's possible I may be mis-remembering. I'll double check when I get to my home computer in a bit, but I'm fairly certain I checked in the vmf you'd given me to see …

• [ARG] The Pizza Code Mystery

jadebenn - - The Cafeteria

Moving to a different forum isn't going to help. If anything, it's going to further fragment efforts to figure this out. The reason people aren't trying anymore is because it's been years since any significant progress has been made. Moving won't help with that.

• Quote from .RK: “Quote from jadebenn: “-snip- ” Huh. Interesting that you decided to detach that downed pipe near the bridge (I think). I can remember my reason for reattaching it was because there were a ton of brushes there in the case of the downed pipe. I still cite it as the only significant change that I made to dev areas (actually, I figure this might be why you did it as a reversion to how it is originally downed). I'll be interested to see what this ends up looking like in the end~ ” An…

jadebenn - - Help!

For the sake of clarification, what was happening then?

jadebenn - - Help!

Hm, that's interesting. Are you saying that the compile options aren't saving after compilation? Have you tried clicking the edit button next to the dropdown menu and creating a new configuration like 'HDR Compile' and putting the settings there? That's what I do, and I haven't had problems with the options disappearing. Another option would be to use a third party compile helper tool. These are external programs that will run the compilers for you, instead of doing it through Hammer. These prog…