Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 502.

Logging in with you Steam ID has now been restored ♥

• Xen 2.0 and prop models.

bkdale86 - - Developer Updates

The last few posts earned warnings. You guys know better. Thread locked.

We have only teased 2 areas there is a big variety between the different maps.

There are issues with alpha on cards (or model parts) and having them light up. We had the programmers work on it but the result wasn't something that we were really happy with. The textures for pretty much everything in the swamp are done, I just finished a massive 2nd pass on it, there should be some media released soon ish.

It is annoying to have to read through a thread with nothing but requests that are off topic and and questions that have nothing to do with the content of the thread. Also people seem to think that we should change something based on x (when x is their personal peeve etc). It got so bad before that I locked most threads and temp banned people for not following the rules, or the other option was to stop doing these blogs about props. Just look at the steam forums, people are too lazy to read stic…

• Overhauled as in AI and new mechanic, visually it is the same.

• Summer Update

bkdale86 - - News & Developer Updates

Outsourcing implys hiring someone else to do assets etc, we just have a different pipeline. There is currently no way you could make even an 1/8 of a map in hammer based on model density. Modern engines are really very different from source. Look at portal 2 there were lots of areas that you couldn't do in hammer (I think Maya was used). We are really pushing the limits of the engine.

• General Xen Chit-Chat Thread

bkdale86 - - The Cafeteria

Quote from Crawfish: “Once Xen is out, someone should test their Hammer skills and blend those scenes into something playable You mean like c4a1a? ”

• Xen Holiday Screenshot

We/I never said it was a forest, forest is a max plug-in. I'm not defensive in the least. Everybody is welcome to their opinion, but basing it off 3 pictures is absurd or not liking it due to a color. I don't have to show any images to back up my claim. We have been releasing sneak peaks not whole level shots.

You can just use the rocks in hammer. Where you will run into issues is with the number or props hitting the entity count. WW/max just allows us to group them and get more on the level. You can place 100 grass models and group them so they count as 4 or 5 entites. There is also a ton of other tools in WW/max that it a lot faster.

• General Xen Chit-Chat Thread

bkdale86 - - The Cafeteria

Or maybe I just detailed it between when the pic was taken and when it was posted.........has to match up detail wise with the rest of the level.

• There are many maps in Xen, I am amazed that with 2 or 3 pictures people think they know exactly what the rest of the game will look like (or mad that it isn't green). WHO says the same island will look the same front vs back?

Quote from Vel0city: “Not to rain down on your parade, but while these all look fabulous, I do feel they're a little bit too much inspired by under water life, especially the anemone-like plant in the first exterior screenshot. I get more of a feeling of being under water rather than being on an alien world. Could use more non-logical structures that don't make sense on a planet like Earth, and some more green colours in the ground texture and models would also help a lot. ” Well I'm sorry our v…

• Summer Update

We don't.

• Summer Update

Quote from Crawfish: “Everything looks fantastic! The stones, the flora, the skybox, it's all very atmospheric and gorgeous! I'm sorry you guys couldn't make it by summer, but we definitely understand. Shit happens, y'know? Also that dynamic lighting looks beautiful! What effect does it have on compiling times when compared to vanilla Source's crappy dynamics? ” None.

Going to do things a bit different than what I usually do, I'll give some background on how we are doing the levels and then show some of the small props I have been making. So we posted new images today to go along with the summer sale showing new images from the map Xen. C4a1a which is where all the images have come from so far (except for my wire frame shots) is a desert like area that is quite rocky and has many different islands. Adam, Shawn and I have been detailing the map using 3dsmax an…

• Summer Update

Quote from k3nny1550: “Can the dynamic light system be used as main lighting for a map i.e. global illumination? If the system is flexible enough, I might try to move my maps and content to the new engine and try making a full time-of-day system. ” No it won't work like that. This isn't GI it is dynamic lights and dynamic lights with shadows. We are limited in the number that generate shadows. To further clarify, we can't turnoff gbuffer (what is used by the deferred renderer) now its not option…

• Summer Update

We have had to deal with a lot of new code and our pipeline for Xen has had a lot of bumps to get it where we want to. Mostly due to having to get Wallworm working in max the way we need it to. Shawn has done some really amazing things with the program and integrating it with Max and several other 3rd party commercial plug-ins. The other thing you have to remember is these are very narrowly focused pics of areas you will be seeing. No one liked the original Xen so everyone has their ideas on wha…

• Just checked on my home computer its an extra windshield from the old model.

• Hmmm. Looking at the picture, since I'm not at home to check, it just looks like you are seeing weird artifacts from CSM or there could be an old windshield model from the old joop I can't tell.

• In case people haven't tried CU4 all the vehicles posted here are in the update. Let me know what you think.