Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 107.

• I was considering playing from Lamda Core, so that the transition into Xen feels more natural and less jarring. I feel like would I lack the patience to play the entire game from the beginning through to Xen to be entirely honest. I believe having to replay one old chapter right after Xen comes out is more than enough torture for one man to endure. Maybe I will play the entire game on the same day as the update hits all the way through to the end of Lambda Core, then wait a little for the update…

• Music not playing.

AsinoEsel - - In-game Issues

Dead thread. I know. But I found a solution (that worked for me and will more than likely work for you) for this issue, and it's installing the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)" from Microsoft's website (microsoft.com/en-ca/download/confirmation.aspx?id=5555). Restart Steam just to be sure. Hope this helps anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future who is having the same problem. I posted this simply because I hate unsolved threads that are over a year old...

• Quote from Crypt: “So there's your good and your bad, and no one sane really cares about either. ” While I generally agree that discussions like these are often very nit-picky, I feel like that the height variances in We've Got Hostiles are most definitely high enough for some players to notice. A 40 meter height variance is, simply put, not particularly subtle and can definitely have an impact on immersion. I find it particularly odd because it wouldn't be all that hard to fix, just make the ve…

• I took an in-depth look at it myself, and yes, it's kinda ridiculous. There's a height variance of 39.2 meters (~128 feet), as well as a difference of 25 meters (~83 feet) on *both* the X and Y axis (Z is height). (Hidden Content) The highlighted brushes in the image above are *supposed to be* the same vent and - in a perfect world - should be on the exact same coordinates. I added some green Gordons for scale. (Hidden Content) FUN FACT: The vent on the map you come out of (and where the level i…

• Summer Update

AsinoEsel - - News & Developer Updates

Yeah, poor choice of words on my part.

• Summer Update

Modding for Xen is gonna be so incredibly difficult though... excessive displacement-work aside, the devs are outsourcing a lot of the detailing to 3DSMax etc. in order to circumvent Hammer's (and Source's) limitations.

• Summer Update

Hey, as weird as this may sound, I'm actually quite happy that we got a more or less definite release date in December. Means that I still have enough time to upgrade my shitty PC specs. Especially with the new additions to the engine branch it's going to be more graphically intensive than ever, and my game is already lagging enough in ST:U as it is.

• I'm not doubting that, I agree, the timings check out --- but **exactly 60 minutes**, on the minute exact? Especially seeing as "a disaster of unknown type" sounds more like the resonance cascade as opposed to HECU marines being deployed. For me it seems more likely that it was just a small oversight by the guy who made it, as the recording wasn't originally made by one of the core Black Mesa devs to begin with AFAIK. But yeah, ignoring that, your explanation sounds the most likely in my opinion…

• I guess that would make sense, although that sounds like kind of a big coincidence to me. Exactly one hour after Gordon enters the tram? Hm.

• So, first of all, the Black Mesa Emergency Broadcast is pretty awesome. It gets played by a radio in Office Complex, if you didn't know. But... it kinda gets the time wrong. Quote from Emergency Broadcast: “"The following message is transmitted at the request of local authorities. At 9:47 AM, Mountain Time, a disaster of unknown type has occurred at the Black Mesa Research facility, causing significant damage and failure to various power and communication systems in the surrounding areas. An imm…

• Personally - am I the only one who REALLY wants to see how they're handling the G-Man speech at the end of the game? Very curious to see how that will turn out.

• General Xen Chit-Chat Thread

AsinoEsel - - The Cafeteria

Well, the HEV scientists practically invaded Xen, took its wildlife home to earth to conduct ethically questionable (ha) experiments, and exploited the fauna. Of course the wildlife (and the Nihilanth who happened to be in Xen at the time) doesn't like that. The resonance cascade was the perfect opportunity to both seize Earth for the NIhilanth and Vortigaunt, as well as get some revenge on the Black Mesa scientists.

Okay then. Makes sense. Thanks for the insight!

• Summer Update

Quote from WhiteDove101: “Now I will have to play through Black Mesa... again. ” Ha, as if you needed an excuse for that. ;D

Actually, I am pretty sure that it's neither. I believe that the second (upper) Xen crystal is being covered by the rock formation. c196a733b3ef228bb1a645e5f854a0f4388b21f0.jpg On this image you can see both Xen rocks from the other image, right? Pay attention to how the metal crate can be seen on both screenshots. If you look closely, you can see that there is a rock formation to the left of the upper Xen crystal. This is why you can't see those crystals in the Instagram Teaser. It's simply hid…

Here's the Xen Instagram teaser again: DVvSD9B.png I'm pretty now a 100% sure the area on the right is the same as in this Xen screenshot. You can clearly make out the arch and the glowing orange Xen crystal. Also, pay attention to the peaks on each side. It lines up. Makes a lot more sense now all of the sudden. The image always reminded me of something microscopic (like the dozens of images that are floating around in Questionable Ethics), but yeah, guess it's a whole Xen island zoomed out! Ve…

• Summer Update

Quote from Chickenprotector: “Out of curiosity, what environments that exist IRL did the level designers use as inspiration for the level? ” Not a dev (duh), but I'm pretty sure that coral reefs served as inspiration for the level. Especially with the blue sky, and the godrays that look like sunrays being cast through some sort of water surface above.

The color correction in ST makes the mesas look a LOT more like the mesas in the 3D skybox in the cliff climbing scene. Really digging it. As for Xen, it appears like they went for an underwater look, which I absolutely love. The Xen plants are kinda reminiscent of corals and reefs...

• Xen Timeline

Yeah, that's a detail they took from the expansions I'm sure. Blue Shift Xen was considered the best Xen for many reasons, and this is one of them.

• Summer Update

I'm curious to see how the Nihilanth will turn out... must be an incredibly huge undertaking for the dev team. Both from a gameplay AND graphics perspective.