Pinned Got a Question? - Enquiries about the game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hello, is gibs system was changed/fixed? I ask about this already in past and someone from developer answered on steam forums that gibs system will be fixed.

What I am saying about, that mod have option to turn on/off gibs, but now after every explosion i can see body, two legs, two eyes, brain, two arms... I would like to see back option to turn on/off gib system.
    • Is there any chance we'll get physically-simulated boxes back in the 'box-smashing room' in c1a1e? The subtle sway of the boxes as you landed on them really sold the "suspended hundreds of feet in the air" feeling, and having them be prop_dynamic just isn't the same.
      Not sure when this was patched out, but it added to the tension in the mod version at the very least.

The Javid wrote:

I can't wait til we ditch that pattern too. It only blends in with gravel and shitty couches.
    • JeffMOD wrote:

Is there any chance we'll get physically-simulated boxes back in the 'box-smashing room' in c1a1e? The subtle sway of the boxes as you landed on them really sold the "suspended hundreds of feet in the air" feeling, and having them be prop_dynamic just isn't the same.
      Not sure when this was patched out, but it added to the tension in the mod version at the very least.
      I believe they were removed due to physics bugs making them very 'sticky' and hard to jump off of. It's in one of the older patch notes.
    • Yeah something was different in the physics of retail vs the mod engine. We don't have access to physics source code unfortunately, as it's licensed to Havok and Valve don't give the code out either (probably because they can't). It worked fine on the mod engine, was broken on the retail engine, and there wasn't really anything we could do to change that at all. You'd get stuck in the boxes and jumping was really difficult. We tried many different workarounds (invisible parented func_brush, prop collision, all that kind of weird hacky stuff), but in the end, we just decided to lose the feature; as cool as it was.
      Chon Kemp - Level Designer and Community Manager
      Creator of the Black Mesa "Uncut" Mods - Surface Tension Uncut and
      On a Rail Uncut
      My dev blog on the development of dm_gasworks
    • Maxey wrote:

Dump Havok and implement a free open-source physics engine, like Bullet.
      I'm actually kind of sad Valve didn't offer to let them try out Rubikon. Would be a good way for them to get some practical data to see how it handles in an actual game.

The Javid wrote:

I can't wait til we ditch that pattern too. It only blends in with gravel and shitty couches.
    • CPU wrote:

What became of your requests for the community to come up with slang words for enemies and the request for ideas for crate contents?
      Don't recall the last part ever being a thing, but it sounds pretty neat. I remember a long time ago filling out some crates with various sets of supplies for BMPD... might go through and cook up some additional ones.
      Pre-Disaster Planning Thread: Thinking of Restoring a Part of Black Mesa? Come Here First!

Office Complex PD: I'm the Slowest Pre-Disaster Mapper!

Pre-Disaster Questionable Ethics: It's here!
    • JeffMOD wrote:

Maxey wrote:

I'm actually kind of sad Valve didn't offer to let them try out Rubikon. Would be a good way for them to get some practical data to see how it handles in an actual game.
      Valve and game in the same sentence? Hahah.

jadebenn wrote:

Maxey wrote:

That would require rewriting every portion of the Source engine that's integrated with Havok, including the entirety of Vphysics, and any entities that call on Vphysics or rely on it (almost all of them).
      Don't count on it.
      Would it be possible to still implement Bullet and simply ignore Havok without having to heavily rewrite everything?
      If you can read this, then you can read, congratulations.
    • Maxey wrote:

JeffMOD wrote:

Maxey wrote:

Valve and game in the same sentence? Hahah.Would it be possible to still implement Bullet and simply ignore Havok without having to heavily rewrite everything?
      No. The fact of the matter is that Source is designed to interface with Havok, and therefore is set up to tell Havok what to do and read what it sends back. Now, in theory, you could bolt another physics engine on and have only certain entities call from it (which I what I think you were getting at), but that still means you have to set up a new interface with the new physics engine so that Source can understand how to talk to it, and you still have to use Havok for doing everything else. And even then there are major problems. Like what happens when Havok and Bullet interact.
    • drgibbles wrote:

let's say I'm in game, and then I choose a map to load, not choose chapter at game start, but once in game , I load a map, is it as if i have completed all prior events in game? or will it be as if i haven't done anything?
      Are you trying to cheat "Rare Specimen"? You need to be specific what you mean but it'll be as if you haven't done anything, worst case: you won't even spawn with any suit/weapons.
    • drgibbles wrote:

let's say I'm in game, and then I choose a map to load, not choose chapter at game start, but once in game , I load a map, is it as if i have completed all prior events in game? or will it be as if i haven't done anything?
      The events and "choices" you make in Half Life and Black Mesa only move the game forward and have nothing to do with the outcome of the game, i think the only thing you'll notice is a lack of weapons.

Why don't you do it and report back with your findings.
    • I was looking to make some announcer lines for a project, and really liked the sound of the announcer (non-military) in Black Mesa. I was wondering, what effects were applied to the voice to make it sound like it does? I'd love to re-create the voice using some TTS client out there (not looking to hire a voice actor) but I don't know how the voice was made to sound how it does.
    • The Sink God wrote:

I was looking to make some announcer lines for a project, and really liked the sound of the announcer (non-military) in Black Mesa. I was wondering, what effects were applied to the voice to make it sound like it does? I'd love to re-create the voice using some TTS client out there (not looking to hire a voice actor) but I don't know how the voice was made to sound how it does.
      In general, for that kind of PA system you'd want to apply an EQ to get rid of the bass and most of the treble, leaving in the mid-tones, then apply some light echo or reverb. I know some softwares also have built-in "PA" effects, like Adobe Audition. (I think it's a preset under guitar > amplify, but I haven't even had a copy of audition for months, so I can't double check)

I don't know if there's some special added step that the devs put in their effect chain for the vox, though. Try playing around with settings in the stuff I mentioned above until you find a good balance.

The Javid wrote:

• JeffMOD wrote:

The Sink God wrote:

I was looking to make some announcer lines for a project, and really liked the sound of the announcer (non-military) in Black Mesa. I was wondering, what effects were applied to the voice to make it sound like it does? I'd love to re-create the voice using some TTS client out there (not looking to hire a voice actor) but I don't know how the voice was made to sound how it does.
      In general, for that kind of PA system you'd want to apply an EQ to get rid of the bass and most of the treble, leaving in the mid-tones, then apply some light echo or reverb. I know some softwares also have built-in "PA" effects, like Adobe Audition. (I think it's a preset under guitar > amplify, but I haven't even had a copy of audition for months, so I can't double check)
      I don't know if there's some special added step that the devs put in their effect chain for the vox, though. Try playing around with settings in the stuff I mentioned above until you find a good balance.
      Another thing to keep in mind is the way the VOX system pronounces things. In both civillian and military mode it haphazardly stitches individually recorded words together into sentences, which gives it a recognizably odd sentence flow that I'll try to illustrate by means of example:

"Attention: Any. Sector. C. Science Personnel. Please Report: Status."

You can do a pretty good job of imitating this just by varying the pauses between words, but another thing to keep in mind is that the VOX always pronounces a word the same way. Like, a good example of this is found in Unforeseen Consequences, where it's constantly blaring alerts about the invading Xenian creatures. Whenever it says the phrase 'unauthorized biological forms,' it says it in this weirdly stilted way:

"UN-authorized bio-LOG-ical FORMS"

Overall, if you keep your pronunciation (excessively) consistent, accentuate the wrong syllables, and pronounce each word individually, you've pretty much got all you need to make a good sounding VOX voice.