Pinned Ask the Developers! - Interview the dev team

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Logging in with you Steam ID has now been restored ♥

• So, guys, how do you feel after the release? Have you already started planning steps and schedule things for Xen/DM patch, or are you still celebrating? :)

Also, what do you think of mods reception around the world? Have you ever expected so much positive feedback from the fans?
    • What advice could the Black Mesa staff give me for a similar project?

Hi everyone,

I am n0shadow, someone who has been following this project for quite some time but only just made an account. With the recent launch of Black Mesa (it's a great job!), I felt that I could really look to the Black Mesa Source staff for advice on a project that is similar to Black Mesa Source in that it's a volunteer based, community development.
      At the beginning of this year (January 1st), a group, now called BlackHole Arts, emerged from the Battlefield 3 fanbase and decided that they would attempt to undertake a project to create a multiplayer game inspired by Battlefield 2. The reason for this was that many from the group felt that Battlefield 3 had deviated from the original "sandbox" type gameplay that had made the previous Battlefield games so popular. At the time of inception, no one in the group had any experience with game design so we set out to learn together so that we may eventually reach our goal. Since then we have been steadily making progress and have decided to use CryEngine 3 as our engine of choice for the project. We do not plan to have any personal gain from this project and will eventually release it for free.

Being similar to Black Mesa Source itself, I wanted to ask for any advice that you guys would give on how to organize and proceed with our ambition (or any other advice for that matter!). I realize that our project is a bit different, but I guess I look up to the developers here and would like to know how we could steer in a similar direction.

Thanks! :D
    • So Devs, how does it feel to have the game out there?
      You've opened a pandora's box of shit now. I'm a cynical, miserable bastard, but even I couldn't imagine how much nitpicking there has been over this mod.

Blah blah...I don't like the way you've textured the paint cans...blah blah!
      Moan moan...Gordon needs to talk more...moan moan. Bitch bitch...you ruined the game because you added too many vending machines...bitch bitch.

Amongst the 9000 utterly trivial and idiotic complaints there are a few legitimate issues, such as the strength of the marines MP5 in comparison to your MP5.
      Other than that I think that the weapons are pretty nicely balanced. I have no idea why people complained about the Hivehand, because I've been using it to take out marines quite a bit. It's perhaps my imagination, but I seem to be able to kill marines faster with the Hivehand than the MP5.
      And of course, the feeling that the Xenian army is poop compared to the marines.

So, how does it feel to have exhaled one huge breath of relief to have finally gotten the mod out there...and now you suddenly have to now get on with Xen and try to appease the million nit pickers?
      Random drawings of Poop :3
      http://www.limudesign.com/
    • how many of you Developers (aside from Katana, see quote) were aware of the 'pizza ARG' or other things related to it at the time of the mod's release?
      forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=13735

Katana wrote:

Goddamn, I'm a developer and I didn't even know about any of this shit.
      Prepare for Balak-Mesa: Goldrc. A texture pack for Black Mesa using only original Half-Life textures and remakes of Black Mesa's new textures remade to fit perfectly in with Half-Life's textures.
    • How even is the team consistency between Xen and BM:DM, and which has the greater proirity to you guys? In theory weapons have been coded, we've seen media of DM levels, just wondering what causes the most headache - multiplayer handling?

Whilst you can manually configure sdk/hammer to use BM entities and textures etc, will there be a sanctioned release or would the teams reaction be - get mapping DMhead :)

If the teams short on mappers for DM - I'm you're man! ;)

Congrats on a job well done!
    • Hi guys,

First of all - amazing work. I actually feel quite guilty that this was free; it's an astonishing labour of love and as good if not better than a lot of commercially-available games out there.

Just wondered what your take was on a debate going on on another forum I frequent. Some people found the manner in which you find the crowbar a really iconic moment in the original game, and are questioning why it was changed in BMS. I just wondered what your motivations were shifting the discovery to a bit later in the game, changing where/how you find it, and whether you saw it as an iconic moment as well?

Many thanks again for a wonderful mod!
    • Hi,The game is really amazing!!
      I have a little question..Why there aren't models of others npc in blackmesa, like engineers,workers and normal people, but only guards and scientists??My question it's bullshit because you do a magnificent work, but i think that it makes the game more immersive.
      There is a possibility that new npc models will be created?
      Thanks again for your great job!!
    • I'm just curious if Black Mesa will be evolving at all and not just bug fixes. You all did such a fantastic job... but a few little tweaks could make it even better. I've been posting some ideas on the gameplay since I finished it, and I'm just wondering if the Devs look to the community for ideas or if I shouldn't bother because I'm just wasting time.

Truth be told after my first playthru I downloaded the SDK with the intention of tweaking some of the maps... then I remembered I'd have to decompile the maps and stuff gets lost in translation so I dropped the idea. Sure be nice to get my hands on the original uncompiled maps ;)

PS who's the stingy buggers who stopped putting goodies in the crates after the first few levels :meh:
    • Threshor wrote:

This may be a question asked regularly but,
      are the dev team (you) working on a mac port or
      would you be willing to let other people port it to mac for people who don't
      have windows...

use bootcamp - a friend of mine plays it on a macbook air without a problem :)

gosho wrote:

Hi,The game is really amazing!!
      I have a little question..Why there aren't models of others npc in blackmesa, like engineers,workers and normal people, but only guards and scientists??

limited time and resources

MadDoctor wrote:

Now that the mods out, and we've seen it, I can ask this:
      What is the funniest thing that, in your opinion, you put in in the mod?

not particuarly funny, but i just love the meta conversation of the three scientists in AM

Vibez wrote:

So, guys, how do you feel after the release? Have you already started planning steps and schedule things for Xen/DM patch, or are you still celebrating? :)

Also, what do you think of mods reception around the world? Have you ever expected so much positive feedback from the fans?

XEN is on schedule and DM/multiplayer is reving up big time

about the worlds reception:
      i am reading through every review, news article comment, video let's plays i get my hand on.
      to me and the rest of the team it really matters what you guys think.

and personally - i thought Black Mesa was strong enough to stand on it's own but the amount of praise,
      both from professional and fan sources have blown me completely away, especially the rock, paper, shotgun review left goosebumps on my forearm.

Ravage wrote:

How even is the team consistency between Xen and BM:DM, and which has the greater proirity to you guys? In theory weapons have been coded, we've seen media of DM levels, just wondering what causes the most headache - multiplayer handling?

Deathmatch will see a much faster release and turnaround as Black Mesa earthbound - we want to get you guys playing as fast as possible,
      shaping BMDM on your feeback to put out the best multiplayer addition to our game possible.
      the biggest headache is definitly map layout, so we will be counting on your feedback early on.

YosemiteSam wrote:

I'm just curious if Black Mesa will be evolving at all and not just bug fixes....I'm just wondering if the Devs look to the community for ideas or if I shouldn't bother because I'm just wasting time.

we love your feedback - concentrate on things that have a high time spent/value to maximize the possibility of future additions/changes in Black Mesa.
      try putting it out in the forum, let other people discuss your ideas

Medkit wrote:

Tell me which one was the funniest bug you encountered in BM?

exploding guard on coffee table in office complex, hilarious
      cookies and milk give me a hardon any day

The post was edited 5 times, last by outlive ().

• outlive wrote:

Deathmatch will see a much faster release and turnaround as Black Mesa earthbound - we want to get you guys playing as fast as possible,
      shaping BMDM on your feeback to put out the best multiplayer addition to our game possible.
      the biggest headache is definitly map layout, so we will be counting on your feedback early on.

we love your feedback - concentrate on things that have a high time spent/value to maximize the possibility of future additions/changes in Black Mesa.
      try putting it out in the forum, let other people discuss your ideas

Hell yes. Ehhhmmm...a question:
      There are some iconic scenes missing, specially in Surface Tension. Are you going to restore it? I remember that the jump pads were used a lot more.
      Raminator closed a thread about things that were missing in the mod, I wanted to know your official position, n_n

The post was edited 1 time, last by bullsquid ().

• so, given that the mod has been out for a week...do any of the devs feel , eh surprised over the critisism, or plain out negativity? or was it like "meh...we don't give a shit# type of attitude" or do you embrace the love you get from the other 90% of the fans?

I myself just fucking love what you guys did...then there are ppl like William at Podcast17 who hates the Alien grunt. I love it, though it is far too easy to kill. Are you skimming through the posts on this forum to let's say, fall in line and make changes, not only fixing bugs, but taking fan critisism as constructive pieces of information
    • I'm kind of curious if anyone on the team was keeping a log of total time spent by particpants working on mod-related items? Or can hazard a guess?

it's gotta be in the low-mid 5 figures.

( From my own humble mapping excursions I know how fast shit can get away on you. And those maps are kindergarten compared to BM. I was staring at the Hammer screen in QE when this thought occured )