The Unofficial Official Chat Thread

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Logging in with you Steam ID has now been restored ♥

    • TextFAMGUY1 wrote:

      We're pretty sure it's a malicious attack, at this point. There's no way their spam is paying off with even a single conversion, this is a super low traffic forum.

      They've circumvented literally every security measure we've ever put in place, so we think it's probably being handled manually.
      I have seen attacks like this on the old (now deleted) Gamespy forums (which had way worse moderation tools, I had to delete them all manually).

      It is 100% manually done.

      The forum they are attacking isn't as important as how many links they can get up in how short a time.

      I don't think it is about human traffic. I think they are aiming for search bots to up their net profile on Google. I don't know this for sure, but this is something I have witnessed over the years, and that is my (quite possibly wrong) theory on what is going on.
      Kick the Sun!
      I am made of mountains.
    • just a flesh wound, i wear as a badge the final ban of the 'scat attack' back from 2010 - 2011 when chief dev Carlos Montero was very active on the forums and that attack clogged the entire old wiki and forums.
      [FONT="Arial"][LEFT](Bloqueos de usuarios); Cman2k (Discutir | contribuciones) bloqueó a "Fail (Discutir | contribuciones)" (desactivada la creación de cuentas) durante un plazo de "para siempre". (Inserting nonsense/gibberish into pages)[/LEFT][/FONT]
    • Shaddy wrote:

      maxximo wrote:

      just a flesh wound, i wear as a badge the final ban of the 'scat attack' back from 2010 - 2011 when chief dev Carlos Montero was very active on the forums and that attack clogged the entire old wiki and forums.
      pardon my ask but wtf is this?
      back on 2010 this place got a mass upload of a very 'nasty sh*t fountain' picture like a thousands times over the old wiki and the forums for an entire day until they shutted down the forums and disable the wiki for the next day, it was a few days later of a large content update, i remember that because i was doing the old thumbnails for the characters wiki.
      [FONT="Arial"][LEFT](Bloqueos de usuarios); Cman2k (Discutir | contribuciones) bloqueó a "Fail (Discutir | contribuciones)" (desactivada la creación de cuentas) durante un plazo de "para siempre". (Inserting nonsense/gibberish into pages)[/LEFT][/FONT]
    • Ok I have done some research I know what the spammers are doing.


      What they are doing is creating references for searches. As topics form this forum are actually put into googles algorithms so they are trying to inflate the search relevance of their site. The only way you can stop them is to do the following make it so that new people have to post in a topic to prove they are not spammers and remove a persons ability to post until their are approved as not a spammer.


      Likely they would have to make an application post in a topic that only none approved people can post in or something.
    • darkone wrote:




      What they are doing is creating references for searches. As topics form this forum are actually put into googles algorithms so they are trying to inflate the search relevance of their site. The only way you can stop them is to do the following make it so that new people have to post in a topic to prove they are not spammers and remove a persons ability to post until their are approved as not a spammer.
      Wouldn't that lead to spamming normal topics?
      Maybe some timers could help, for example for new users: 1 post per hour or only one new topic per day.
    • Tuc0 wrote:

      darkone wrote:

      What they are doing is creating references for searches. As topics form this forum are actually put into googles algorithms so they are trying to inflate the search relevance of their site. The only way you can stop them is to do the following make it so that new people have to post in a topic to prove they are not spammers and remove a persons ability to post until their are approved as not a spammer.
      Wouldn't that lead to spamming normal topics?Maybe some timers could help, for example for new users: 1 post per hour or only one new topic per day.
      nope as the title of the new page needs to have their site on it, spamming in a topic doesn't add to an algorithm if it did they would also be spamming 4 or 5 replies in each topic they post.
    • You have a point there, and I bet that would work.

      But is this behavior available with this forum software? I have crawled all over the administration section several times over trying to find ways to stop the spam and have not found something like this. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it is just the admin section is massive and difficult to know for sure what some of the things do. Last time I pushed a button, ya'll got issues with steam login connections. Easily fixed, but it is an example of why I am hesitant to press any buttons due to unforeseen consequences that inevitably happen.
      "Thank you, and have a very safe and productive day."
    • jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7121

      Mars Helicopter to Fly on NASA's Next Red Planet Rover Mission

      "The altitude record for a helicopter flying here on Earth is about 40,000 feet. The atmosphere of Mars is only one percent that of Earth,so when our helicopter is on the Martian surface, it's already at the Earth equivalent of 100,000 feet up,"
      The Mars copter weighs in at little under four pounds (1.8 kilograms). Its fuselage is about the size ofa softball, and its twin, counter-rotating blades will bite into the thin Martian atmosphere at almost 3,000 rpm -- about 10 times the rate of a helicopter on Earth.
      The helicopter also contains built-in capabilities needed for operation at Mars, including solar cells to charge its lithium-ion batteries.

      The Mars Helicopter is considered a high-risk, high-reward project. If it does not work, the Mars 2020 mission will not be impacted.
    • New

      I'm mad, Shad. I'm stuck in the past, every time I see you I think "This kid's like 15" but you're 19. You're an adult on paper.

      Either way, don't feel bad about yourself, yo. We're all nerds, jobs are hard and I know moving out at like 18 is the common thought for the last few decades but that's just not realistic for a lot of people.

      And yeah, welcome to 19! <3
      And so ends another post of pointless speculation.

      "120% sorry!"
    • New

      I showed up here as a middle school kid with a Sonic avatar complaining about violent imagery in video games about killing things. I think that alone made a pretty dumb first impression that would make anyone else embarrassed enough to just leave, but then I didn't. I am completely unsurprised that having been on this forum, this very thread almost exclusively for my entire teenaged life gave off the impression of a dumb teenager on the internet, and it's harder to get rid of the impression you have of someone when they're behind a screen. I'm sure if I met Chris Knopps in real life I wouldn't look at him with the contempt I felt on seeing his shitty posts on SSMB.

      It would be a very different type of contempt, because he'd be wearing a MAGA hat and ranting about how diversity ruins video games.

      Anyway, thanks for the kind words. I'm honestly pretty comfortable in my situation. I got a job once, I can do it again. I'm taking some classes right now anyway, so I'm not doing absolutely nothing. And honestly the only motive I've ever had to move out of my parents' house is that living independently seems like it'd be a more attractive quality to anyone I'm dating.

      Anyway, today was a good birthday. Spent time with my family, watched some HeroAca, bought a nice new pair of headphones.