Pinned [ARG] The Pizza Code Mystery

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Logging in with you Steam ID has now been restored ♥

• Wow, I haven't been here in a while. When this first started I was in middle school, and now I'm about to head to university.

Anyways, GunsRequiem's thing about homophonic encryption tickled something in me about brute force, but some quick googling reveals that there would be 280 choose 255 or 3.2*10^35, or 320 trillion trillion trillion possible combinations. So never mind.

Storm did say the CIA couldn't brute force it, so hey, we might be on the right track.

EDIT: For anyone who wants to putter around with this homophonic encryption thing, I slapped together a little webpage to mess with it. It's here. I've tried fiddling with congratulationsyouwonthePIZZA and BENALOHPAILLIER as the starting phrase but I haven't got anything productive out of it. You guys have been paying attention more than I have so maybe you'll have better luck.

The post was edited 3 times, last by MadDoctor: Fix link to match renamed GitHub profile ().

• So, I have spent far too much time on this these last few days. (also sorry about the double post, but it felt even weirder to edit my previous post a dozen times)

These last few days I have tried some computer analysis on the HALOS file. I wrote a program that will attempt to brute force a homophonic cipher key based on distributions of letters in English, but it simply can't make any progress. There are too many unique symbols and too little cipher text. I've read of a more advanced algorithm here, but, even they failed to accurately decrypt similar length ciphertexts, and only with 100 unique symbols. In addition, without a solid key, I suspect the message could be made to say anything if you were creative.

So back to the drawing board. As I've mentioned many times before, the grilledpizza image has been bothering me. It has to be for something, right? There's a cryptographic concept known as a grille, where you basically put a piece of paper with holes in it over your ciphertext and you can read the plaintext through the holes. The grilledpizza image has black and white sections, either of which could be holes, so I considered trying to line it up with the HALOS file somehow and pulling a limited section of the bytes out for further analysis. Unfortunately, after some Google calculator work, no configuration of that image matches the length of the file no matter how you slice it.

EDIT: Something that just flashed into my head supporting the "more to the grilledpizza theory": The clue 21 into 1 has been pretty useless, because it never seems to come up. You count and you multiply by some factors and it never seems to match anything we have. However, no one said 21 was in decimal. 21 in hex converted to decimal is 33. There are 33 triangles in the first row of the grilledpizza image. I am convinced that image is the key to solving the text file if we can just combine them somehow.

Of course, the message it was sent in ended in [ABORTIVE], so far all we know the HALOS file is cut off from the original and the lengths don't have to match.

EDIT: I didn't realize that in the original IRC clue, the coordinates were already spelt out in a way that didn't match the way I did it. When you put them in as they originally appear, the lengths no longer match. The following is probably invalid then.

Finally, I explored one more thing. If we turn back the time machine for a bit we go back to the very first IRC clue:

The cruel god that is Stormseeker wrote:

N38°57'8.05" W77°8'44.82".Solution two ignore loc data N32°52'50.77" W106°20'49.40" not buried at initial loc, fly here.Travel 14.16 miles east we transferred the niobium there.Await further instructions.

Now the first coordinate refers to the much discussed Kryptos statue at CIA headquarters. With that in mind, we can unpack the next line. There are four ciphers on the statue, three of which are solved. We have the second one, which is:

Kryptos Cipher 2 wrote:

IT WAS TOTALLY INVISIBLE HOWS THAT POSSIBLE ? THEY USED THE EARTHS MAGNETIC FIELD X THE INFORMATION WAS GATHERED AND TRANSMITTED UNDERGRUUND TO AN UNKNOWN LOCATION X DOES LANGLEY KNOW ABOUT THIS ? THEY SHOULD ITS BURIED OUT THERE SOMEWHERE X WHO KNOWS THE EXACT LOCATION ? ONLY WW THIS WAS HIS LAST MESSAGE X THIRTY EIGHT DEGREES FIFTY SEVEN MINUTES SIX POINT FIVE SECONDS NORTH SEVENTY SEVEN DEGREES EIGHT MINUTES FORTY FOUR SECONDS WEST X LAYER TWO

The part that's important is the coordinates that show up. Could this be the loc[ation] data that we are told to ignore? So I cut that last part off, and I put in the coordinates given in the clue instead:

Modified Kryptos Cipher 2 wrote:

IT WAS TOTALLY INVISIBLE HOWS THAT POSSIBLE? THEY USED THE EARTHS MAGNETIC FIELD X THE INFORMATIONW AS GATHERED AND TRANSMITTED UNDERGRUUND TO AN UNKNOWN LOCATION X DOES LANGLEY KNOW ABOUT THIS? THEY SHOULD ITS BURIED OUT THERE SOMEWHERE X WHO KNOWS THE EXACT LOCATION? ONLY WW THIS WAS HIS LAST MESSAGE X THIRTY TWO DEGREES FIFTY TWO MINUTES FIFTY POINT SEVENTY SEVEN SECONDS NORTH ONE O SIX DEGREES TWENTY MINUTES FORTY NINE POINT FORTY SECONDS WEST

When you remove the spaces, this text is exactly 376 characters long, same as our HALOS file. So I tried to combine it and see what we get.

Unfortunately I got nothing obviously useful after combining with XOR and modular addition. (though all I did was check byte frequencies so who knows)

Hopefully this shakes something loose in someone else's mind so we can finally solve this.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MadDoctor ().

• I've spent some time creating a Python script that will generate a grilledpizza image out of any data you give it.

It's here, just hit save and run it with Python. If you run it with no arguments it'll spit out some help text telling you what it needs. You will need to have PyCairo installed. This is more work than it should be, so if you run into issues, PM me and I'll try and help you. Alternately, just send me data and I'll whip you up an image when I can get to it.

I already ran the hex code into it and got the attached image. Not much, but if you see the ancient runes of Al-Gorro in there or something, please shout it out.
      Files
      • pizza.jpg

(393.81 kB, downloaded 21 times, last: )

The post was edited 1 time, last by MadDoctor: Fix link to match renamed GitHub profile ().

• Miles07 wrote:

...Something tells me we're being pointed to the Anomalous Materials chapter.

[...]

I think we need to investigate that chapter for clues.
      When the HEV is obtained, a bunch of things show up on the screen... including some directories on the side, presumably the loading of files withing the HEV's OS. But ... I honestly wonder if there isn't a clue in those file names. Anybody know where one can find those text blurbs in the game's assets?
    • Miles07 wrote:

Miles07 wrote:

[...]

When the HEV is obtained, a bunch of things show up on the screen... including some directories on the side, presumably the loading of files withing the HEV's OS. But ... I honestly wonder if there isn't a clue in those file names. Anybody know where one can find those text blurbs in the game's assets?
      I think it might be stored in the map file, not sure. But someone could just record a video of it.
    • Tuskin38 wrote:

Miles07 wrote:

Miles07 wrote:

[...]

I think it might be stored in the map file, not sure. But someone could just record a video of it.
      it would be a hud animation triggered by the maps I/O logic you would need to look for it under hud animations files and depending on what they've done it likely just in a hud file in plain text just due to it using the same font as ingame
    • Miles07 wrote:

Miles07 wrote:

[...]

Personally, I don't think that would make any sense at all. You're talking about a suit that would contain the identical information for whoever was to wear it and that the event hasn't even taken place yet. Why would there be a hidden message for something that hasn't even happened?

Anyway, to satisfy your curiosity, here's a video link to it being put on. https://www.videosprout.com/video?id=0f4084f4-4337-4fc8-8d82-993b1548eeef

The post was edited 2 times, last by CPU: changed video link ().

• The BMRF is a huge complex, with many employees. We know that the Hev suits have gps and many other goodies. So how does one track an individual in the labs, or elsewhere. In the labs there could be an active badge system. With employees badges being picked up by sensors and transmitting that data somewhere. Where would it be sent to? There was an active badge experiment done at Cambridge, what they were shooting for was "sentient computing" a way that you could get in touch with someone if you needed them via a phone system, their position was tracked and when necessary you could dial up an extension, the individuals extension, and it would ring the phone wherever they were at. This could also be disabled if you were on lunch or meetings. We know the employees have badges, we know hev suits can be tracked. Many of the do-hickeys and du-dads in game, flashy lights, many different screens and monitors. Might one of these monitors, systems, or whatever may be found in the part of BMRF that you are in, react to something being brought within its range. What items in game could produce signals that could be picked up? Something small and that transmits, Something with IR possibly. For instance in the portal arg, you could bring radios to different areas to pick up signals. Maybe something like that has not been found, but it works in the opposite way, you bring something within range and something else will activate. Look at how the context of "Halos" has been used over time, theres halos files, halos project, "dont let halos see..." What if halos is a sentient computer used in tracking employees. But not sentient in way of say the terminator or a complex ai, We know that there are different clearance levels for the scientist in the arg. We've seen others have to have their eyes scanned for access to areas... eyeballs are something that can be recovered by the way, maybe an eyeball carried to a certain area for a scanner? Or just something else that could be used for tracking. There is a lot of tech in the facility, most of it looks old, but there are parts where some of it looks new, specific monitors and screens. Lets say that the Hex that we have is a log file, that once decoded will show who was where and when. If it is that, what system would be used to monitor badge signals? "they cant hide from me, not now, now that I have this, this holds the key to everything"..... " dont let him find us"..... What if the "key to all things" was access to an active badge like system that can be used for finding people. Just a thought...
    • If you copy and paste the link it works, but actually clicking on it still takes you to the broken Google Drive one.

That being said, I took a look at it and it's mostly flavor text. Some hex GUID looking things stand out, but they're hard to transcribe off the video and they're cut off. Actually, they're not cut off, they just end unnaturally.

If we're lucky this is code driven and the actual text is in the file. If we are unlucky, they're just playing a video over the game and we'll never know. I'd take a look myself but the game is gigantic and I don't really want to download it just for this.
    • bms_misc_dir.vpk -> resource\bootup_english.txt:

Source Code

1. "lang"
      2. {
      3. "Language" "English"
      4. "Tokens"
      5. {
      6. "TITLE" "H.E.V. (Hazardous Environment Vehicle) Mark IV"
      7. "VERSION" "OS v4.2.124 firmware vOB2006-7"
      8. "STANDBY" "Standby for Main Systems Startup"
      9. "PATH0" "C:\HEV\system\sensors\stir\testinit.exe"
      10. "PATH1" "C:\HEV\system\pgrm\util\X198.exe"
      11. "PATH2" "C:\HEV\programs\voice\hev_klv.rom"
      12. "PATH3" "C:\HEV\mnge\diagnostic\h422.exe"
      13. "PATH4" "C:\HEV\system\addons\v1950\deoccheck.exe"
      14. "PATH5" "C:\HEV\system\sensors\stir\testinit.exe"
      15. "PATH6" "C:\MATS\{99A016E1-0840-43AE-8434-A18CEDFA833B}"
      16. "PATH7" "C:\HEV\system\pgrm\util\X198.exe"
      17. "PATH8" "C:\HEV\programs\voice\hev_klv.rom"
      18. "PATH9" "C:\HEV\mnge\diagnostic\h422.exe"
      19. "PATH10" "C:\HEV\mnge\diagnostic\boundscheck.exe"
      20. "PATH11" "C:\HEV\system\pgrm\util\X198.exe"
      21. "PATH12" "C:\HEV\programs\voice\hev_klv.rom"
      22. "PATH13" "C:\HEV\mnge\diagnostic\h422.exe"
      23. "PATH14" "C:\HEV\system\addons\v1950\deoccheck.exe"
      24. "PATH15" "C:\HEV\system\sensors\stir\testinit.exe"
      25. "PATH16" "C:\MATS\{99A016E1-0840-43AE-8434-A18CEDFA833B}"
      26. "PATH17" "C:\HEV\system\pgrm\util\X198.exe"
      27. "PATH18" "C:\HEV\programs\voice\hev_klv.rom"
      28. "PATH19" "C:\HEV\mnge\diagnostic\h422.exe"
      29. "PATH20" "C:\HEV\mnge\diagnostic\boundscheck.exe"
      30. "PHASEA" "REACTIVE ARMOR SYSTEM"
      31. "PHASEAA" "MULTIDIRECTIONAL SENSORY ARRAYS-"
      32. "PHASEAB" "HIGH IMPACT ABSORPTION/DISTRIBUTION GRID-"
      33. "PHASEAC" "POWER MANAGEMENT UTILITY-"
      34. "PHASEB" "ATMOSPHERIC CONTAMINANT SENSORS"
      35. "PHASEBA" "SENSOR ARRAYS-"
      36. "PHASEBB" "GEIGER-MULLER INSTRUMENT-"
      37. "PHASEC" "AUTOMATIC MEDICAL SYSTEM COMPONENTS"
      38. "PHASECA" "BIOMETRIC MONITORING SYSTEMS-"
      39. "PHASECB" "MORPHINE ADMINISTRATION SYSTEM-"
      40. "PHASECC" "ANTITOXIN ADMINISTRATION SYSTEM-"
      41. "PHASED" "DEFENSIVE WEAPON SELECTION SYSTEM"
      42. "PHASEDA" "WEAPONS REGISTRY/DATABASE-"
      43. "PHASEDB" "MENU SELECTION-"
      44. "PHASEDC" "ACQUISITION DETECTION SENSORS (PALMS)-"
      45. "PHASEDD" "<MISSING ENTRY///>"
      46. "PHASEDE" "<MISSING ENTRY///>"
      47. "PHASEE" "MUNITION LEVEL MONITORING"
      48. "PHASEEA" "MUNITIONS DETECTION AND MONITOR PROTOCOL"
      49. "PHASEF" "ONBOARD COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS"
      50. "PHASEFA" "WIRELESS RADIO MICROPHONE/RECEIVER"
      51. "PHASEFB" "DALSYS TELECOM TRANSMITTER/RECEIVER"
      52. "PHASEFC" "DALSYS TGPS MODULE"
      53. "PHASEFD" "DALSYS SECURITY NETWORK INTERFACE"
      54. "PHASEFE" "VOICE SYSTEMS READOUT"
      55. "READY" "READY"
      56. "NOTREADY" "NOT READY"
      57. "ACTIVATED" "ACTIVATED"
      58. "DEACTIVATED" "DEACTIVATED"
      59. "ENABLED" "ENABLED"
      60. "DISABLED" "DISABLED"
      61. "ONLINE" "ONLINE"
      62. "OFFLINE" "OFFLINE"
      63. "NOTAVAILABLE" "N/A"
      64. "SUITCALIB" "CALCULATING FIT ADJUSTMENTS..."
      65. "SUITUSER" "USER ID# 4176- FREEMAN, GORDON"
      66. "SUITHEIGHT" "HEIGHT: 5FT. 11.986 IN"
      67. "SUITWEIGHT" "WEIGHT: 192.73 LB"
      68. "DONE" "DONE."
      69. "SAFEDAY" "HAVE A VERY SAFE DAY."
      70. }
      71. }
      Display All
    • Flavrans wrote:

bms_misc_dir.vpk -> resource\bootup_english.txt:

Source Code

1. "lang"
      2. {
      3. "Language" "English"
      4. "Tokens"
      5. {
      55. "READY" "READY"
      59. "ENABLED" "ENABLED"
      61. "ONLINE" "ONLINE"
      62. "OFFLINE" "OFFLINE"
      63. "NOTAVAILABLE" "N/A"
      68. "DONE" "DONE."
      70. }
      71. }
      Display All

C:\MATS\{99A016E1-0840-43AE-8434-A18CEDFA833B}

Is this what we should be looking for? Because this looks... out-of-place.
      Notice that the root directory is not C:\HEV\ like the others. Is the hexadecimal code afterwards important? ... Could it be a key?
    • Miles07 wrote:

Flavrans wrote:

bms_misc_dir.vpk -> resource\bootup_english.txt:

Source Code

1. "lang"
      2. {
      3. "Language" "English"
      4. "Tokens"
      5. {
      55. "READY" "READY"
      59. "ENABLED" "ENABLED"
      61. "ONLINE" "ONLINE"
      62. "OFFLINE" "OFFLINE"
      63. "NOTAVAILABLE" "N/A"
      68. "DONE" "DONE."
      70. }
      71. }
      Display All
      C:\MATS\{99A016E1-0840-43AE-8434-A18CEDFA833B}

Is this what we should be looking for? Because this looks... out-of-place.
      Notice that the root directory is not C:\HEV\ like the others. Is the hexadecimal code afterwards important? ... Could it be a key?
      {99A016E1-0840-43AE-8434-A18CEDFA833B} looks like a UUID or GUID. The curly braces suggest it's a Microsoft GUID. The 13th hex digit is '4', which indicates it's a version 4 UUID, which are pseudo-randomly generated. Interestingly, if it would have been a version 1 UUID, it would have been generated off a timestamp and a MAC address. You can find more information on UUIDs here and here.

A GUID is 128 bits long, so it could very well be a key for any cipher that can take a 128-bit key, e.g., AES, Twofish, Serpent, ...

However, a Google search for {99A016E1-0840-43AE-8434-A18CEDFA833B} shows that it's the MSI installer Product Code GUID for a program called "LogMeIn Hamachi". It doesn't make any sense that this would be the key for decrypting the HALOS code.

Regarding the HEV bootup sequence, according to @TextFAMGUY1, it was made by one of the programmers, who had an idea for it at some point, and then "just put it in one day". [ref1] [ref2]
    • So been a while since I’ve been here but thanks to a TV show I might be on to something.

Basically in the show they used the book Moby Dick to relay messages to each other, over radio, without the enemy understanding what was said.

Now it got me thinking about books that have been mentioned on here. Mainly Dante’s Devine Comedy.

Well when I looked for the book I realised it’s only 1 part of 3 thats mentioned, mainly Inferno.

Now don’t know if this is coincidence or not but the Italian name of the first Chapter is.

Devina Commedia Inferno

Which happens to have 21 letters.

Now back to the main idea, what if the book was used to send a message, written in Italian/English, converted to numbers to denote paragraphs/words.( the book is written in paragraphs each with their own Number.) and then transferred to HEX to be sent?

Just an idea.
      Captain McDerp - "Alright sir, would you like some extra straws for that coke TO GRASP AT?"