On A Rail Uncut - Re-Adding Cut Areas/Scenes (Expansion Project)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Logging in with you Steam ID has now been restored ♥

• Dadster wrote:

With your extended respite from further active development on OarU, and the limited time you have to work on it due to your new commitments to BMS, I trust you've gathered all of the feedbacks from your Beta 2 releases, reviewed them, and concisely assembled them in order to apply the justified/acceptable changes in an efficient and proficient manner. I feel the available window, now, to affect changes to OarU is limited, and we now don't have the benefit of multiple pre-RC-final releases of OaRU, as we had earlier. I've noticed that some (few) basic reported feedback issues weren't corrected from one release to another, that historically should have been. Obviously, with the now reduced window of opportunities to affect changes to OaRU, please be methodical and thorough in your updates to OaRU, so that the final release will be as pristine as newly fallen rainwater in a collective barrel.

On that day Text, we will all gladly drink from that vessel, knowing the clear purity of what we're consuming, that is OarU FINAL (prior to OarU's compatibility release with BMS's next update).

Cool and quenching!!!

Alright, seriously dude, what is your problem? What is wrong with you?

Why do you never back off? All throughout this thread I've had to put up with your patronizing, asinine bullshit. I asked you plenty of times, nicely, to stop. I reasoned with you. I wasted hours of my life writing really long posts trying to be polite about it. I asked you more aggressively. You were banned by a Black Mesa developer, for the same reasons. You were ridiculed by practically everyone in this thread. Then you came back after a few months, and hadn't learned a damn thing. I've ignored you - notice how I haven't said a word to you since you came back? That's because you have no respect for what anyone else thinks - least of all me. At all.

Maybe I just should have put it like this months ago, and saved myself the headache. I don't want to hear from you anymore. Just stop.

And to make it more relevant to what you're saying - I already made it pretty clear that I am not working on On a Rail Uncut anymore. There is no extended respite. It's finished. There's no "reduced window," there's no "available window". It's done. Sorry, you'll have to stick with the filthy, warm, and altogether not particularly quenching drink of bath water which OaRU currently is.

Racket_Man wrote:

OK really stupid question.

I was waiting for Text to put a bit more polish on OAR Uncut to download and play it. Now that the final version is on the back burner I decided to pull it down and add it to BM (I have ST Uncut). BUT in searching this thread I can not find where to go to download the file for OAR Uncut.

Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks

My apologies. I never got around to updating the OP with the new information. I have now done that, so hopefully people won't have trouble again.

If the ModDB download doesn't work, it's because ModDB is a bit weird sometimes. Try the mediafire one, that should work (I bloody well hope so, I pay for a Premium account!)

As for the surveys, no idea what that's about.

subatomic wrote:

On A Rail has become one of my favorite chapter of Black Mesa thanks to Uncut. I'm playing through the original Goldsource Half-Life right now and in the midst of On A Rail and it's not nearly as bad all the criticism I've read makes it out to be. Maybe it's because of Uncut that I don't feel all that confused by it, I don't know. It's a pretty entertaining chapter, even in the original. If that's the case, Text deserves an even bigger thanks for improving my first playthrough of the original Half-Life!

Probably the only big thing I'd change about OARU is the cafeteria overlooking the rails, by enclosing it with a half-wall and plate glass windows. Seems silly to have it open to the rail system. It would stink of oil and engine grease and dirty boxes and just in general be a dirty place to be sitting down to a meal. Granted, I've worked in an engine & transmission shop and it didn't smell too great even in the enclosed lunchroom, but I laughed aloud when i saw the cafeteria in OARU. Still, that office section with the scripted sequence is an incredible achievement!

The Cafeteria was much debated at the time of its conception, but I eventually decided to keep it open. I know it's not particularly realistic, but we figured it wasn't that bad really. It's pretty far from the tracks and the trains themselves don't seem that bad in terms of noise and pollution. The open feel adds some variety to the otherwise very enclosed feeling of the rest of OaR. Additionally, it's how that area was designed in HL1, and I found that area particularly distinctive due to its openness, so decided to keep it. It's a compromise. I know it would be more realistic enclosed, but I prefer it open.
    • Cpt Chompski wrote:

Alright, seriously dude, what the hell is your problem? What is wrong with you?

Why do you never back off? All throughout this thread I've had to put up with your patronizing, asinine bullshit. I asked you plenty of times, nicely, to stop. I reasoned with you. I wasted hours of my life writing really long posts trying to be polite about it. I asked you more aggressively. You were banned by a Black Mesa developer, for the same reasons. You were ridiculed by practically everyone in this thread. Then you came back after a few months, and hadn't learned a damn thing. I've ignored you - notice how I haven't said a word to you since you came back? That's because you have no respect for what anyone else thinks - least of all me. At all.

Maybe I just should have put it like this months ago, and saved myself the headache. I don't want to hear from you anymore. Just stop.

And to make it more relevant to what you're saying - I already made it pretty clear that I am not working on On a Rail Uncut anymore. There is no extended respite. It's finished. There's no "reduced window," there's no "available window". It's done. Sorry, you'll have to stick with the filthy, warm, and altogether not particularly quenching drink of bath water which OaRU currently is.

Alright, seriously dude, what tha fuck tha hell is yo' problem, biatch? What tha fuck iz poppin' off wit yo slick ass?

Why do you never back off, biatch? All all up in dis thread I've had ta put up wit yo' patronizing, asinine bullshit. I axed you nuff times, sickly, ta stop. I reasoned up in yo' faaaaaace biaaatch! I wasted minutez of mah game freestylin straight-up long posts tryin ta be polite bout dat shit. I axed you mo' aggressively. Yo ass was banned by a Black Mesa pimper, fo' tha same reasons. Yo ass was ridiculed by practically mah playas up in dis thread. Y'all KNOW dat shit, muthafucka! Then you came back afta all dem months, n' hadn't hustled a thugged-out damn thang. Ya Mom shoulda told ya, I ignored you - notice how tha fuck I aint holla'd a word ta you since you came back, biatch? Thatz cuz you have no respect fo' what tha fuck any suckas be thinkin - least of all mah dirty ass fo' realz. At all.

Maybe I just should have put it like dis months ago, n' saved mah dirty ass tha headache. I don't wanna hear from you no mo'. Just stop.

And ta make it mo' relevant ta what tha fuck you sayin - I already juiced it up pretty clear dat I aint hustlin on On a Rail Uncut no mo'. There is no extended respite. It aint nuthin but finished. Y'all KNOW dat shit, muthafucka! Therez no "reduced window," there be a no "available window". It aint nuthin but done. Right back up in yo muthafuckin ass. Sorry, you gonna gotta stick wit tha filthy, warm, n' altogether not particularly quenchin drank of bath gin n juice which OaRU currently is.
    • your-name-here wrote:

Alright, seriously dude, what tha fuck tha hell is yo' problem, biatch? What tha fuck iz poppin' off wit yo slick ass?

Why do you never back off, biatch? All all up in dis thread I've had ta put up wit yo' patronizing, asinine bullshit. I axed you nuff times, sickly, ta stop. I reasoned up in yo' faaaaaace biaaatch! I wasted minutez of mah game freestylin straight-up long posts tryin ta be polite bout dat shit. I axed you mo' aggressively. Yo ass was banned by a Black Mesa pimper, fo' tha same reasons. Yo ass was ridiculed by practically mah playas up in dis thread. Y'all KNOW dat shit, muthafucka! Then you came back afta all dem months, n' hadn't hustled a thugged-out damn thang. Ya Mom shoulda told ya, I ignored you - notice how tha fuck I aint holla'd a word ta you since you came back, biatch? Thatz cuz you have no respect fo' what tha fuck any suckas be thinkin - least of all mah dirty ass fo' realz. At all.

Maybe I just should have put it like dis months ago, n' saved mah dirty ass tha headache. I don't wanna hear from you no mo'. Just stop.

And ta make it mo' relevant ta what tha fuck you sayin - I already juiced it up pretty clear dat I aint hustlin on On a Rail Uncut no mo'. There is no extended respite. It aint nuthin but finished. Y'all KNOW dat shit, muthafucka! Therez no "reduced window," there be a no "available window". It aint nuthin but done. Right back up in yo muthafuckin ass. Sorry, you gonna gotta stick wit tha filthy, warm, n' altogether not particularly quenchin drank of bath gin n juice which OaRU currently is.

Alrightway, eriouslysay udeday, atwhay ethay ellhay isway ouryay
      oblempray? Atwhay isway ongwray ithway ouyay?

Ywhay oday ouyay evernay ackbay offway? Allway oughoutthray
      isthay eadthray I'veway adhay otay utpay upway ithway ouryay
      atronizingpay, asinineway ullshitbay. Iway askedway ouyay
      entyplay ofway imestay, icelynay, otay opstay. Iway easonedray
      ithway ouyay. Iway astedway ourshay ofway ymay ifelay itingwray
      eallyray onglay ostspay yingtray otay ebay olitepay aboutway
      itway. Iway askedway ouyay oremay aggressivelyway. Ouyay ereway
      annedbay ybay away Ackblay Esamay eveloperday, orfay ethay
      amesay easonsray. Ouyay ereway idiculedray ybay acticallypray
      everyoneway inway isthay eadthray. Enthay ouyay amecay ackbay
      afterway away ewfay onthsmay, andway adn'thay earnedlay away
      amnday ingthay. I'veway ignoredway ouyay - oticenay owhay Iway
      aven'thay aidsay away ordway otay ouyay incesay ouyay amecay
      ackbay? At'sthay ecausebay ouyay avehay onay espectray orfay
      atwhay anyoneway elseway inksthay - eastlay ofway allway emay.
      Atway allway.

Aybemay Iway ustjay ouldshay avehay utpay itway ikelay isthay
      onthsmay agoway, andway avedsay yselfmay ethay eadachehay. Iway
      on'tday antway otay earhay omfray ouyay anymoreway. Ustjay
      opstay.

Andway otay akemay itway oremay elevantray otay atwhay ou'reyay
      ayingsay - Iway alreadyway ademay itway ettypray earclay atthay
      Iway amway otnay orkingway onway Onway away Ailray Uncutway
      anymoreway. Erethay isway onay extendedway espiteray. It'sway
      inishedfay. Ere'sthay onay "educedray indowway," ere'sthay onay
      "availableway indowway". It'sway oneday. Orrysay, ou'llyay
      avehay otay ickstay ithway ethay ilthyfay, armway, andway
      altogetherway otnay articularlypay enchingquay inkdray ofway
      athbay aterway ichwhay OaRUWAY urrentlycay isway.
    • I think it is in the best interests of everyone concerned if this thread is closed for now.

No one hates anyone here, but Dadsters constant badgering has caused some consternation to Text, I'm guessing he finally had enough of being told what to do and when to do it.

Some of the feedback was useful, alot of it wasn't. Text has already stated he has alot of other things he needs to do, so receiving messages such as

"I trust you've gathered all of the feedbacks from your Beta 2 releases, reviewed them, and concisely assembled them in order to apply the justified/acceptable changes in an efficient and proficient manner."

- is pretty insulting. I'm not surprised he decided to say it how it is.

As for the rest of us, we're just trying to lighten the mood a bit in what was actually quite a difficult thing for him to post, as he obviously didn't want to sound harsh.

When he has time to continue OAR, I suspect a new thread will be in order. As with all the bugs posted concerning OAR and ST Uncut, they are all archived here in these threads and will likely be acted on when he revisits.

Until that time, please don't bug him to fix these as we all have alot of work to do on the main game.

Thanks.
    • With the release of OaR Uncut on the Steam workshop for retail Black Mesa following the Crossfire Update, I have reopened this thread so people can discuss it if they wish.

Feel free to post thoughts and comments. However, detailed feedback is unnecessary and will not be implemented as I will not be working on these maps anymore. This project is shelved. Feel free to post it if you like, but if you do, then do so (I will read it and take it in) with the expectation that it won't be implemented or updated.
      Chon Kemp - Level Designer and Community Manager
      Creator of the Black Mesa "Uncut" Mods - Surface Tension Uncut and
      On a Rail Uncut
      My dev blog on the development of dm_gasworks
    • Pauolo wrote:

It's not much related to OaR Uncut itself, but someone on Steam's workshop uploaded two mods adding the workers and office NPCs in Text's mod to the Inbound and Office Complex chapters. I think that's a pretty good idea as I'd like to see each chapter updated with a wider variety of character models.
      I plan to do other chapters as well (I made the Office Complex version, by the way). Currently We've Got Hostiles and Residue Processing is already in progress. I plan to not do On A Rail because it would conflict with Uncut patches, and Surface Tension, as it will soon be updated.

On subject, OaR Uncut is good as it is currently. I don't think it requires further major tweaks.
      "... Some people say, "How can you live without knowing?" I do not know what they mean. I always live without knowing. That is easy. How you get to know is what I want to know."
      - Richard Feynman, The Meaning of It All

steamcommunity.com/id/KevinJRattman/
    • KevinJRattman wrote:

Pauolo wrote:

On subject, OaR Uncut is good as it is currently. I don't think it requires further major tweaks.
      Agreed, though there are a few bugs, but.... whatever! It's really cool!

Off: adding more npc variations to other chapters means adding more npcs or just like reskinning some of them? Because I am interested!
      "Medkit - the protagonist of most action games since 1992"
    • Medkit wrote:

KevinJRattman wrote:

Pauolo wrote:

Agreed, though there are a few bugs, but.... whatever! It's really cool!
      Off: adding more npc variations to other chapters means adding more npcs or just like reskinning some of them? Because I am interested!

Please let's keep the discussion on topic. This isnt why Text reopened this thread. I will update the addon soon so stay tuned!

On topic, it would be really great if Text were to appoint someone so this new guy can keep update the project. Of course this "someone" would have to be someone whos really proficiented in this type of project. In fact it would really solve all the problems like bugs or inconsistency. Currently OaR Uncut is ported from the mod version and therefore does not have features from Steam version. This is absurd. If Text really cared about the community and his project, he should do this. I'm not seeing any reason why he might not do this... Maybe he can talk about this more? Or even maybe release the vmf files, let the community fix it using the lump files, etc. This way we can fix both the bugs and support Text's work. but I dont like this option that much. Quality wins everything you know.
      "... Some people say, "How can you live without knowing?" I do not know what they mean. I always live without knowing. That is easy. How you get to know is what I want to know."
      - Richard Feynman, The Meaning of It All

steamcommunity.com/id/KevinJRattman/

The post was edited 3 times, last by KevinJRattman ().