The Happy Topic

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• danielsangeo wrote:

How do you get above 72.5fps? I know my computer is capable of doing that as the Lost Coast stress test reported over 200fps but Half-Life 1 seems to be locked at 72.5fps when vsync is off.
      In console type 'fps_override 1', then type 'fps_max 99999999999999' to get as big a framerate as possible.

EDIT: If you're thinking of playing HL1 with an unrestricted framerate, unless your computer is a potato, don't. Higher framerates = more time for NPCs to turn, and when you have huge FPS it takes 10 seconds for them to turn.
      However, if you're thinking of bhopping or doing the Infinite Health Door glitch, yeah go ahead I couldn't care less.
      <placeholder signature>

The post was edited 1 time, last by lambdaman ().

• Oooh! You know what? With that bigger resolution, I think you more than compensate. :)

...edit: you made me curious, so I re-tested with a higher framerate cap-- 1200fps to 1700fps in most areas-- and slightly over 2000 fps while staring at a wall :S ... I can therefore recommend the gtx 1080 to friends and family in the future.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Tiki ().

• Tiki wrote:

Oooh! You know what? With that bigger resolution, I think you more than compensate. :)

...edit: you made me curious, so I re-tested with a higher framerate cap-- 1200fps to 1700fps in most areas-- and slightly over 2000 fps while staring at a wall :S ... I can therefore recommend the gtx 1080 to friends and family in the future.
      Peasant 500fps (700 max) with 1080p resolution, and turning the resolution down makes it worse somehow.
      At least I don't have to suffer with the inevitable 60 hour long NPC turning rates though.
      <placeholder signature>
    • Annnd I finally snagged an interview for an IT position at a small business in the next city over. Fuck that took long enough.

I know next to nothing about Web Design, but the CEO who I've been in touch with for around 4 months now pestering for a job is willing to take a chance on me since I have a serious programming/scripting background. That's the vibe I'm getting anyway, hopefully it'll go well.

He said it'll transition from part time to full time if I do a good enough job and the team he has there likes me enough.
    • Chickenprotector wrote:

Annnd I finally snagged an interview for an IT position at a small business in the next city over. Fuck that took long enough.

I know next to nothing about Web Design, but the CEO who I've been in touch with for around 4 months now pestering for a job is willing to take a chance on me since I have a serious programming/scripting background. That's the vibe I'm getting anyway, hopefully it'll go well.

He said it'll transition from part time to full time if I do a good enough job and the team he has there likes me enough.
      That's exactly how I got started in my current job in IT. If you get in, admit right away when you don't know stuff, ask tons of questions, and soak up all the knowledge you can.
    • Feeling pretty good right now. Mom's back from her parents in California, finals week is over, new Steven Universe, Dragon Ball, JoJo (well the dub at least) and Sonic Boom episodes coming regularly, and to top it off, I actually have enough money to buy a new console on launch for once (though, I probably won't be, seeing as how Nindy's handling supplying the thing to retailers). My dad's got a job that he actually enjoys, my sister's had a ton of fun watching One Piece with me, and my dog is probably going to continue being alive for several more years.

I often question my valuing dark storytelling so highly when my reality is devoid of much pain or drama.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Shaddy ().

• Shaddy wrote:

Feeling pretty good right now. Mom's back from her parents in California, finals week is over, new Steven Universe, Dragon Ball, JoJo (well the dub at least) and Sonic Boom episodes coming regularly, and to top it off, I actually have enough money to buy a new console on launch for once (though, I probably won't be, seeing as how Nindy's handling supplying the thing to retailers). My dad's got a job that he actually enjoys, my sister's had a ton of fun watching One Piece with me, and my dog is probably going to continue being alive for several more years.

I often question my valuing dark storytelling so highly when my reality is devoid of much pain or drama.
      You should change your name to Lighty then.
      Good to see you're feeling good about yourself, I think that's always important in life!
      Anyone who gets the joke will receive a free hug from me
      <placeholder signature>
    • geekofalltrades wrote:

That's exactly how I got started in my current job in IT. If you get in, admit right away when you don't know stuff, ask tons of questions, and soak up all the knowledge you can.

He already knows I know nothing about it. lol The guy I'll be working with said its fine, so its a huge risk they're taking on their part I completely understand that. So I'll be doing exactly that when I get home on Monday and studying the shit out of HTML and start working on a project in HTML to learn the ropes.

First thing I'm going to do for when my questions can come up is "If I do get this job, what tools are we going to be using?" Because it seems Visual Studio may not have that functionality I need or I'm just blind. I also switched gears and I'm now prioritizing the HTML5/CSS/Java Script cert from microshaft I was going for on a whim to a top priority because of this instead of focusing on the C# cert. Studying that test for a few hours a day is mind numbing... In case you didn't realize, I want that full time position.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Chickenprotector ().

• Update: Welp first interview went down, from my prospective it went well. I was straight forward and honest and they didn't seem taken aback by my lack of previous work in terms of tech. Since one of them asked for some sample code to get a gauge of where I am and to make a programming test centered around it, I spent around a fucking hour trying to get GitHub to cooperate with Visual Studio to no avail. I gave up and ended up and uploading the individual files instead of the entire project to it.

Soo I should hear something back by the end of the week and by the end of next week, if all goes well, I should get a formal offer from them. Woot!
    • I´m often happy too, right now being one of those moments! I´ve kept myself very busy and (stressed-out) with university-studies since last fall but it´s starting to pay off: most of my courses are passing. One of those courses is called Numerical Methods which in my field of studies is generally considered to be a fucking nightmare! But I passed and it´s finally starting to look like I might graduate someday :) Aaaaand there´s more: I was elected straight from the interview to a great summerjob as a shift supervisor in a cardboard mill! I know it sounds boring but for student a summer job as a foreman is a career booster. Yup, I think that this weekend I´m gonna have a few beers and just chill!
    • At the register at work we have this notepad that's supposed to be for inter-shift communication but it's mostly just doodles and fun notes we all leave each other. Well today I looked at it and there was an exchange that kinda made my day.

“Christian is the best guy ever <3″
      "Crush?"
      "Maybe :)"

Like, I can’t
      even believe people think about me at all when I’m not around, esp. not to write something nice. Naturally I just responded by writing "I hate that guy" and went about my work, but it was a really nice way to start my shift. Esp. considering I was upset with myself for something yesterday.
      And so ends another post of pointless speculation.

"120% sorry!"
    • Crypt wrote:

Like, I can’t even believe people think about me at all when I’m not around, esp. not to write something nice.
      Congratulations, you left a positive impression.

In all seriousness, you always leave an impression on people wherever you go, this includes on the internet, regardless if you mean to or not. That said, you're a more likable person than you give yourself credit for.