Voice Actor Needed! - HECU SOLDIER

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Logging in with you Steam ID has now been restored ♥

• Voice Actor Needed! - HECU SOLDIER [currently filled]

Crowbar Collective is looking for a NEW voice for the HECU Soldier!

The ideal applicant will provide dry recordings from a dead room. I know that sounds gross, so let me clarify.

A dry recording is a recording with no added effects. We are more interested in your performance than your audio mixing skills.
    A dead room is a quiet, echo-free recording space. No reverb, street sounds, roommates, hisses or hums in the background.

We're also looking for somebody with access to quality recording equipment, and the ability to record while on Skype for voice direction.

We hope this opportunity will bring in a lot of talented actors, so please understand that we will not be able to respond to every application. We'll let you know when we want to hear more.

We'd also like to know which voice the community prefers.
    Once you're done, feel free to share the audition with your fellow interwebbers!
    #blackmesavoice #newhecu #crowbarcollective

If you don't think you have the pipes/gear for the job, then please help point any qualified voice actors towards this jobs posting.

Email [email protected] with an outline of:
    • the equipment you used during recording
    • your availability
    • the files/links of your Black Mesa recordings
    • if available, files/links for any past voice acting work

Thanks!

Original Half-Life HECU soldier

Black Mesa HECU soldier to be replaced

CHARACTER
    • I've killed twelve of these dumbass scientists, and not one of 'ems fought back... This SUCKS!
    • I didn't sign on for this shit. Monsters? Hell yeah. But civilians? Who ordered this damn operation anyway?

DISCUSSION
    (You only need to record one scene, but please play both soldiers)

HECU 1: Where are we taking this Freeman guy?
    HECU 2: Topside for questioning.
    HECU 1: What the hell for? We got him. Let's kill him now.
    HECU 2: Uh... and if they find the body?
    HECU 1: Body? What body?
    HECU 1 & 2 laugh.

- OR -

HECU 1: So, who is this guy, Freeman?
    HECU 2: They say he was at Ground Zero.
    HECU 1: Science team... You think he was responsible? Sabotage, maybe?
    HECU 2: Yeah, maybe. All I know for sure is he's been killing my buddies.
    HECU 1: Oh yeah, he'll pay. He will definitely pay.

COMBAT
    (This section is meant to show how well your gear can hold up to yelling, screaming, high-energy performances)

• Shit! We got hostiles!
    • Squad! Stay down!
    • Squad! We got Freeman!
    • We've got uglies!
    • Loose frag!
    • Go! Recon!
    • Medic!
    • Move in!
    • Clear this area!

CHATTER
    • Recon in position. All quiet.
    • Squad, spread out.
    • Movement check, over.
    • Look-out, check in.
    • Sector Secure. Over.
    • That's an affirmative, sir.
    • This mission is way beyond FUBAR.
    • OK mission, zero niner.
    • Look-out Post: All quiet. Over.
    • Sir, I hear something.

EXTRA CREDIT
    Send us a short piece (maximum 1 min) of your HECU Soldier in a scenario of your choosing.
    This does not have to be constrained to a Half-Life combat situation. You can put your own twist on the character.
    Read passages from medical dictionaries, freestyle rap, yell at your neighbors no good dog that just won't shut up.
    We're looking forward to hearing what you come up with.

The post was edited 3 times, last by BlackStamp ().

• Xeoxer wrote:

Maybe someone could also record HECU soldiers for interrogation scene in Vent Mod expansion pack which is not there due to technical reasons.

It's not the lack of lines, it's the fact that I'd need to package a scenes.image. Considering there's already a few mods out there that require custom copies, I don't want to muddy the waters by forcing people to find a working version based on what they've downloaded or learn how to rebuild it.
  • I will say that the line "This mission is way beyond FUBAR." doesn't make sense. FUBAR stands for "Fucked up Beyond All Recognition," so the sentence would then be "This mission is way beyond fucked up beyond all recognition." That makes no sense. Maybe a simple " This whole mission is FUBAR" would do.

Anyways, yeah, just my 2 cents.

Also, if my voice wasn't so effeminate, I would try this out.

Also, you know, the whole recording equipment thing.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Keresh: Also, don't double post ().

• Han_Shot_First wrote:

I will say that the line "This mission is way beyond FUBAR." doesn't make sense. FUBAR stands for "Fucked up Beyond All Recognition," so the sentence would then be "This mission is way beyond fucked up beyond all recognition." That makes no sense. Maybe a simple " This whole mission is FUBAR" would do.

The line in BM is "This whole operation's FUBAR." There's nothing wrong with it.
    And so ends another post of pointless speculation.

"120% sorry!"
  • Han_Shot_First wrote:

I will say that the line "This mission is way beyond FUBAR." doesn't make sense. FUBAR stands for "Fucked up Beyond All Recognition," so the sentence would then be "This mission is way beyond fucked up beyond all recognition." That makes no sense. Maybe a simple " This whole mission is FUBAR" would do.

I remember Soap from MW2 saying "AGM missile is online". AGM stands for Air-to-Ground Missile. Maybe soldiers really make such mistakes in real life? Then it wouldn't be too bad to make such mistakes in BM.
  • Xeoxer wrote:

I remember Soap from MW2 saying "AGM missile is online". AGM stands for Air-to-Ground Missile. Maybe soldiers really make such mistakes in real life? Then it wouldn't be too bad to make such mistakes in BM.

Actually AGM stands for "Air-to-Surface Guided Missile" but your point still stands.

Anyways that happens a lot in real life. Though it is funny, my mind is going blank trying to think of an example.

Anyways FUBAR is just slang, some people probably don't even know it is an acronym. Just like how LASER is an acronym and SONAR is an acronym, but both terms have entered the English and other languages as their own words.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Tuskin38 ().

• Otto wrote:

Hmm, am I the only one confused by the need for a new actor? I definitely feel like I'm missing an actual
    reason behind why the lines need to be rerecorded. Is there something you don't like about the current
    HECU voiceovers?

Gamer magazines and fans too criticise the voices in Black Mesa. People even debated why the Hecu soldiers have no such radio voice as they had in HL.... etc.

Personally I say if the BM dev team think they can improve it, than why wouldn't they?
    "Medkit - the protagonist of most action games since 1992"
  • Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up. I was a bit absent during the review times, but I didn't notice anything
    particularly bad about the grunts myself. If anything, I'd probably hold the scientists up to more regard since we
    hear so much more of them, plus their whole voice and inflections are unfiltered. Man, tough work doing voices.

But yeah, if the development is still underway for the earlier chapters, I'd love to see what else they could get.