Blog 12

Logging in with you Steam ID has now been restored ♥

• I noticed in this and your other posts that your redone / new models are very detailed. Of course, this makes them look more pretty and realistic, but I would guess that it also results in a higher polygon count (more faces / vertices per model).

Is there any significant increase in polygons in your models in comparison to the models from the first release? And do you create additional low-poly models that get displayed in place of the high-poly model if the player is far enough away to not notice? (If I remember correctly, that is the / a way you could use both very detailed models and huge open areas in source.) Or do I underestimate the power of modern graphics hardware?

Another, (although related) question: Do you first create a (very) high-poly model and use it to bake normal maps or do you start of immediately with the model that will end up in-game? (and add your normal maps by other means later on?) i.e., these nice untextured work-in-progress models like the one in your latest blog post look like they will end up in the game as they are (textured, of course).

And, of course, I have to say that your models are really well done and have a nice industrial and vintage feel to them. You seem to go for the more serious / less cartoony style, which in my opinion fits the story and game well.

Finally, I am always looking forward to your development updates, please continue making them :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by scocdp ().

• What you are calling high poly is a misnomer they aren't huge by modern engine standards, somethere around 5-7k for the consoles. They are larger by maybe 25-50% than the one they replace, mostly in the details. They can always have several levels of LOD if needed. I'm newer to modeling and I don't go the HP route first. I do mine in reverse because I'm starting with a base model redo. It's easier for me to do most details with ndo2, but I'm learning new stuff all the time.

The post was edited 1 time, last by bkdale86 ().

• Thank you for the answers :)

Have you ever considered doing your models the other way around, i.e. high-poly first? Maybe not when you have a base model to start with, but if you do something from scratch? And what are the advantages / drawbacks of creating models without a high-poly basis?
    • That's quite impressive.
      Finally the stuff doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

I am not sure I am not gonna miss the old models though. They are wacky and look like they have escaped from a recording studio, but at the same time they look cool as fuck.

In the age of super-boredom, hype and mediocrity
      Celebrate relentlessness, menace to society (c)

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3181/33055962168b20c246edo.png

The post was edited 1 time, last by OldDirtyBastard ().