Pinned Multiplayer Discussion Thread - Screenshots and Discussion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Logging in with you Steam ID has now been restored ♥

• I think these icons above players should generally get removed, since they sometimes work similar to player-brightskins from quake: they make enemies stand out more (which might remove their positional advantage). These icons could get displayed exclusively on scoreboard and in deathcam (if it's enabled on the server, because basicly I'm against the deathcam aswell and I think it should be an optional server-setting, too.
    • BlackRiver wrote:

Please balance the weapons. Now the most players use only 2-3 of them. The total abuse of the OP weapons will drive a lot of the players away from the game. I am not even sure if they have fun. The score players ruin the game. My 2 cents.
      This, I'm a semi-noob at this game, sure.

Had a decent round of playing around with sort of equallity skilled players, pro player joins in, starts oneshotting/two shotting people with the tau, taunting ppl "come on kill me girls."
      Kinda takes the fun out of the game.
    • have you ever played HL1DM? It was always 70% about mastering the tau-cannon.. That's just how this game works. But I agree that they need to improve weapon balance (slightly increase rate of fire of shotgun, speed up reload on shotgun slightly, reduce damage of shotgun primary slightly, fix netcode on zoomed crossbow, fix crossbow rapidfire bug, remove recoil from MP5, reduce damage of pistol, MP5 and 357 slightly, tweak charge up for the tau, maybe reduce tau damage very very slightly, maybe also reduce tau headshot multiplyer from x3 to x1.5, add wallgauss, remove handgrenade from spawn weapons, buff satchel, tripmine and snark damage and increase damage radius for satchels and tripmines, increase satchel throw range or implement HL1 physics for satchels, tweak tripmine hitbox further, make snarks run around more.. make them more agressive, make them bhop faster, increase ammolimit for MP5 grenades to 5, reduce MP5 grenade speed, fix RPG reload and rapidfire-trick, tweak the angle in which the RPG follows the laserdot - in my opinion it should be smaller, allow players to skip weapon draw animation after very short delay (skip it by pressing shoot, shoot2 or reload), it's also very important to improve hit feedback.. for example few blood on body shots, much blood on headshots and tau or crossbow body hits.. ideally I'd love to see death animations too.. this way you have a cooler combat feel and you clearly see if you did a headshot-kill or not.. but I guess death animations would cost too much ressources... with these changes egon will be balanced) and improve movement (increase acceleration on ground, add circlejump, slightly increase air-control and increase LJ hight slightly - I think these changes are maybe even more important than the weapon changes.. optional bhop as a server setting is also important for the future)... If you want, add me on steam and i can help you improve.

The post was edited 2 times, last by fury: added few things ().

• I did play my fair share of Half-Life: Source deathmatch when I was younger, I have touched hl1:dm a few times as well.

I don't know if it's the moment speed that is slower in source, but I just feel like it's more of an issue now.
      Lower the damage of the tau so you can't oneshot people with it, or decrease the headshot multiplier.
      Cause right now a skilled player with a tau has a really huge skilldifference towards a player not using the tau. It's like the only weapons worth using are the energy based ones.
      When the servers do have an autokick for the K/D score, then there is something that needs a fix.

Sure I can improve my play and I will. But for new players who come and play and then are brutally buttraped, I doubt they'd want to play again.
    • pick up more armor and improve your movement/dodge/positioning... tau netcode should also get reviewed, because sometimes it seems to hit when normally it shouldn't have hit. I am against a big tau damage nerf, because tau is meant to be the strongest map control item together with crossbow and longjump. Too much tau-damage nerf would also make wallgauss useless. Unarmored players should always be 1 shot by a fully charged tau shot. Explosives and egon are strong enaugh already and because of that a tau damage nerf really wouldn't make any sense.
    • And you think you're going to get those updates when..? :)
      Skill tiered servers, do we have the playercount for those kind of servers? Last night there was about 10 people playing.
      When I'm posting this, there are 4. If there were more players on the server, the tau wouldn't be so much of an issue, but due to the playercounts it currently is.

I'm not trying to dumb down the game, just make it easier for new people to come into the play and not ragequit when getting instant-killed,
      which I saw some people do when I played last night.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LordDz ().

• We're working on more refinements to the gameplay and ways to help the community along. These things take time.

The game has quite a skill gap. Issues related to higher skilled players beating up on new ones can only really be resolved when we firstly have more players, and when we have ways to better segment them.
      Chon Kemp - Lead Level Designer and Community Manager
      Creator of the Black Mesa "Uncut" Mods - Surface Tension Uncut and On a Rail Uncut
      My dev blog on the development of dm_gasworks
    • Multiplayer games with super strong weapons destroying players in just one or two hits always have these issues that one skilled gamer with no life will rule the game. I think one way to solve this would be to enable something like different weapon modes, like tau/gluon-only rounds, rounds with explosive weapons or rounds with only mp5/shotgun/pistol/magnum.
      To be honest, I had the most fun on a small map with tau weapons only which were picked up right away.
    • djcj wrote:

Multiplayer games with super strong weapons destroying players in just one or two hits always have these issues that one skilled gamer with no life will rule the game. I think one way to solve this would be to enable something like different weapon modes, like tau/gluon-only rounds, rounds with explosive weapons or rounds with only mp5/shotgun/pistol/magnum.
      To be honest, I had the most fun on a small map with tau weapons only which were picked up right away.
      No, that's not good for n00bs, because they won't learn the game that way. People should accept what Half-Life is and what it does offer instead of just playing it casually. Half-Life is a game with learning curve and it requires dedication. It really hurts to always read stupid comments like yours.. And yes, in Adrenaline Gamer there were gamemodes like arena or arcade which let you spawn with all weapons. It's OK if you want to play a casual gamemode, but don't suggest to break the core game with shit like "weapon modes"... LOL.

The post was edited 2 times, last by fury ().

• On the topic of multiplayer, it is not that well balanced, well the power weapons are not. There is a reason most games use different stats in MP then in single player. and black mesa's MP feels lacking to say the least, to much chaos. As it is all it takes in one person getting to the gluon and tau spawn and well game over.

That said I don't think anything really needs nerfed or buffed, Well except the gluon cause that is a pain weapon to use and fight. and the snarks cause they are useless.

suggestion: make it so that the gluon and tau have NO ammo at their spawn point and that you can not reload by standing on the spawn, instead put ammo for them out in the open in areas of low to no cover. this should remove most the problems with them as players will have to stay mobile to use them instead of camping the spawn/ammo.

suggestion2: make it so the pack on the gluon gun is visible even if you do not have it equipped and make it so that shooting the person in the back can blow the pack. if the shot kills them. (taking the weapon out until a respawn) (would require the gluon to be none respawning until this happens)

ALSO BUFF THE SNARKS, they are pretty much useless, in SP and MP.

also would suggest adding a m16 to the game for MP

m16
      ammo: 9mm (only for pickups)
      primary: burst fire
      secondary: iron sights.
      ammo: 30/90

reason for weapon, higher damage more accurate AR for the more "tactical" players allowing for even the none twitch shooters to have a weapon they can use.
    • fury wrote:

djcj wrote:

Multiplayer games with super strong weapons destroying players in just one or two hits always have these issues that one skilled gamer with no life will rule the game. I think one way to solve this would be to enable something like different weapon modes, like tau/gluon-only rounds, rounds with explosive weapons or rounds with only mp5/shotgun/pistol/magnum.
      No, that's not good for n00bs, because they won't learn the game that way. People should accept what Half-Life is and what it does offer instead of just playing it casually. Half-Life is a game with learning curve and it requires dedication. It really hurts to always read stupid comments like yours.. And yes, in Adrenaline Gamer there were gamemodes like arena or arcade which let you spawn with all weapons. It's OK if you want to play a casual gamemode, but don't suggest to break the core game with shit like "weapon modes"... LOL.
      Let's chill out a bit on the attacking language. Be happy like my avatar! *boing!*
      "A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in life, it's the only weapon we have." --Roger Rabbit
    • @darkone There is absolutely no need for a burstfire M16. You basicly have burstfire on primary fire shotgun (precise but weaker than secondary fire). If you'd like to shoot on long range you can also use the 357 or Crossbow. Personally I think the devs should not add any more weapons to the game, because we have most shooting-mechanics in the game already. Also I don't have any keys left on my keyboard to use as weapon bindings. Sure the game misses some projectile weapons like HL2-style crossbow (maybe they could drasticly decrease BM primary crossbowbolt splash range and damage, but make them deal much more damage on direct hits) or Quake 4-style plasmagun (with some changes, the hornetgun secondary firemode could be used like that: maybe increase ammolimit to 16.. then primary fire could use 2 ammo per shot and secondary fire could be more usefull for spaming narrow corridors. Also make beegun secondary fire shoot a straight or slightly randomized line. Additionally it would be cool if secondary fire bees would find their targets on their own as soon as they get very close [maybe 16 unit 'magnet'-radius] to them). @danielsangeo sorry. It just makes me way too mad when people keep suggesting extreme gameplay changes, which would fundamentally change how the game is played. HL's main competetive modes were 3v3 to 5v5 traditional TDM and Duel. Introducing weaponloadouts, lower pickup-respawn times, lower charger charge-times, spawnprotection or anything like that make these gamemodes a lot less skill-based and less competetive. That's why I am strictly against any changes regarding these traditional competetive gamemodes. I don't mind having additional gamemodes or server options as long as the main emphasis is on the main competetive gamemodes.

The post was edited 1 time, last by fury ().

• We've mostly done what we can for MP, for now. We plan on doing much more on it once Xen is out, which we think will bolster the population significantly and allow us to allocate way, way more resources towards actually doing what we want with it. But, right now, Xen is our total priority, much as it hurts for some of us (I love our MP and was one of the team's most passionate members about it).
      Chon Kemp - Lead Level Designer and Community Manager
      Creator of the Black Mesa "Uncut" Mods - Surface Tension Uncut and On a Rail Uncut
      My dev blog on the development of dm_gasworks