Which SDK should I use?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Which SDK should I use?

So for a while I tinkered with making maps in Portal 2's authoring tools. I didn't do anything too special, just remade a couple Portal 1 chambers, and cleaned a few dirty ones from Portal 2.
      I lost interest for a few months, but the urge to map is coming back to me. I don't want the restrictions of Portal 2's authoring tools, so I'm assuming that the Hammer I should use for multi-game mapping would be in one of the SourceSDK versions. My question is, which version of SourceSDK should I use? 2007, or 2013? I remember 2013's having a lot of problems with things like gameinfo.txt files not being detected, and a load of other stuff that broke after Steampipe.
      Or should I avoid SourceSDK entirely and just mess around with one of the Hammers from Team Fortress 2, or Half-Life 2?

EDIT: Wait, I just remembered, the bases are different options from the main part of the SDK. Ah well, regardless, does it matter which base I use?
      That little mess-up is kind of embarrassing.
    • If you want to make maps, use 2013. I created a tool to help configure it for Black Mesa automatically:

GUIDE: Setting up Source SDK for BM

The only thing that I forgot to mention in that post is that you need to start the 2013 hammer.exe AT LEAST once before running the tool.

If anything screws up, let me know and I'll try to help!

| Core Developer, PSR Digital | Black Mesa Hazard Course | 403 Aurelius |
      |Author, Hazard Team Compile Tool - Hammer Map Compiler Replacement |
    • Don't use the SDK launcher any more.
      As DKY said, for BM you'll use 2013.

For other games, each game has its own SDK, including Hammer included the \bin folder in it's game directory, but newer games have their own Authoring Tools or SDK downloadable from the Tools tab on Steam. Most mods are 2007 (so you'll need that base in order to run them), but 2013 SDK works with them fine, better even, as Hammer for it is a bit updated with some useful features). Generally Hammer can load any VMF (I've had problems loading CS:GO maps in other versions of Hammer, though, so maybe there's forwards compatability issues with games running newer Source branches), so multi-game shouldn't be a big issue. It's really just a matter of having the games content and FGDs mounted.
      And so ends another post of pointless speculation.

"120% sorry!"
    • Thank you two, I'll keep what you said it mind.
      As I said, I'm not an experienced mapmaker in any way, so I just want to use the Hammer with the most creative potential, as I'd be unlikely to release anything playable, so I just wanna mess around and make some pretty stuff as practice, y'know?
      Seems like CS:S has the most furniture and house/office-related models and textures, and it also seems to be what a lot of people use.
    • Hey, sorry to bump and double-post, but I have another question that really isn't worth making a new thread for.

So I've been recreating my house in Counter-Strike: Source's Hammer as mapping practice. Would I have more resources/creative freedom if I used Global Offensive's authoring tools? Or does GO have less to offer for mapping?
    • You could also mount the content of one in the other's Gameinfo.txt.

I think whether or not you'd have more freedom depends on what you need in specific. CS:S and CS:GO share a lot of the same resources or themes. I think GO has a larger amount of content, though.
      And so ends another post of pointless speculation.

"120% sorry!"
    • Crypt wrote:

You could also mount the content of one in the other's Gameinfo.txt.

I think whether or not you'd have more freedom depends on what you need in specific. CS:S and CS:GO share a lot of the same resources or themes. I think GO has a larger amount of content, though.

I checked earlier today, and from what I can tell, GO has less content overall, but the content is higher quality and more suits my needs. It's nice having a toilet model that doesn't look 70 years old, nor has gone a month without being flushed.

I'll definitely add content as I need though.
      But wanna know what convinced me to install the CS:GO SDK? The fact that the light fixture model from de_inferno had a broken texture that I couldn't fix. I guess I'm a bit nitpicky.
    • CS:GO has a much more powerful renderer and many more features available than CS:S, such as the beautiful dynamic shadows ("CSM"), 4 way blends, tree sway, ambient occlusion, etc . CS:GO is one of the latest Source engine builds, CS:S runs on a modified 2007/OB engine, I believe. I'm pretty sure GO also has much more and much higher quality content overall - especially as it uses a lot of improved CS:S props anyway.

I don't think there's much reason to use CS:S when CS:GO is available, at least not in my opinion.
      Chon Kemp - Lead Level Designer and Community Manager
      Creator of the Black Mesa "Uncut" Mods - Surface Tension Uncut and On a Rail Uncut
      My dev blog on the development of dm_gasworks