Pinned Got a Quick Suggestion? - Small suggestions that don't need their own thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Logging in with you Steam ID has now been restored ♥

• So you're saying that you would rather play an unfinished game than wait another few months and play a kickass game? They have set a deadline. 12/31/09 at 11:59 PM.

EDIT: Damn. Ninja'd. I was thinking mostly just scorch marks, but that grenade idea is awesome. I don't think that it would be too hard to implement the overcharge as a grenade effect. Also having it injure people around you might be cool. But then again maybe not.

awsgames;65558 wrote:

danielsangeo;177429 wrote:

So, I'm listening to the 'debate'. I see two main arguments:
      Democrats: "This bill will help."
      Republicans: "OMFG WE ALL GON' DIE!!!!"
    • Lamsey wrote:

Please to be checking the last few seconds of the official trailer.

Shrike: what sort of destruction do you mean for the scorchmarks/destruction "in other places" for tau cannon overcharges? Physics effects, scorch decals on the ground, that sort of thing? Seems like a reasonable idea, but I'm not sure if it's as easy to implement as it sounds (could maybe apply the physics effects of a grenade going off, without the damage?).

"2009" is a bit vague, methinks.
      So you're saying that you would rather play an unfinished game than wait another few months and play a kickass game?

No, but without a firm deadline this whole thing will just drag on and on.
    • Brother Shrike wrote:

EDIT: Damn. Ninja'd. I was thinking mostly just scorch marks, but that grenade idea is awesome. I don't think that it would be too hard to implement the overcharge as a grenade effect. Also having it injure people around you might be cool. But then again maybe not.

I remember this being discussed before, but I can't remember the conclusion (if any).

Scorch marks might be difficult to do without looking crappy - that being said, I guess that could make use of grenade effects too?
    • They have a firm deadline. 12/31/09 at 11:59 PM. If it is released earlier, great. And again, I would rather play the finished mod the way the devs envisioned it than play it before it's ready.

All of these posts are going to be deleted, by the way.

DAMN! NINJA'd again.

I think that the grenade effects would be fine, personally.

awsgames;65558 wrote:

• Brother Shrike wrote:

They have a firm deadline. 12/31/09 at 11:59 PM. If it is released earlier, great. And again, I would rather play the finished mod the way the devs envisioned it than play it before it's ready.

All of these posts are going to be deleted, by the way.

DAMN! NINJA'd again.

I think that the grenade effects would be fine, personally.

Yeah. Plus the grenade acting as a phys prop and going up into barnacles.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Medevilae: Fixed ().

• The Tau cannon overcharge would probably leave cracks in any solid surface nearby, especially in concrete, just because of the massive amounts of energy. Any physics props would either fly back or be destroyed, depending on how high their health is, and NPCs standing close by would be injured or gibbed. Of course, the trade-off to the damage caused to NPCs is ofset by the larger amount of health the player would lose, considering they're at the centre of the energy surge. BTW, is the alt fire on the Gluon gun going to do anything useful in Black Mesa, or just have freeman's hand turn the thingy/do nothing?

The Javid wrote:

I can't wait til we ditch that pattern too. It only blends in with gravel and shitty couches.
    • JeffMOD wrote:

The Tau cannon overcharge would probably leave cracks in any solid surface nearby, especially in concrete, just because of the massive amounts of energy. Any physics props would either fly back or be destroyed, depending on how high their health is, and NPCs standing close by would be injured or gibbed. Of course, the trade-off to the damage caused to NPCs is ofset by the larger amount of health the player would lose, considering they're at the centre of the energy surge. BTW, is the alt fire on the Gluon gun going to do anything useful in Black Mesa, or just have freeman's hand turn the thingy/do nothing?

What if it behaves like a grenade explosion, except that the decal that goes on the ground represents cracked ground or something? Unfortunately, that would probably be really hard to make the texture look good on any surface. Oh well.

awsgames;65558 wrote:

• Brother Shrike wrote:

What if it behaves like a grenade explosion, except that the decal that goes on the ground represents cracked ground or something? Unfortunately, that would probably be really hard to make the texture look good on any surface. Oh well.

You can have different impact materials solely depending on the surface it hits, for instance you can have a different effect hitting wood and a different one for concrete. Though, the only question would be if something like this would take to do all the textures for and make them work for the different surfaces - or, if it's even worth the effort
    • SteveUK wrote:

You can have different impact materials solely depending on the surface it hits, for instance you can have a different effect hitting wood and a different one for concrete. Though, the only question would be if something like this would take to do all the textures for and make them work for the different surfaces - or, if it's even worth the effort

Yeah, sounds like a lot of work. I don't think it's really worth it when a generic scorch mark would work... :[

awsgames;65558 wrote:

• Irate wrote:

I'm sure they're doing a very good job, but the assertion that they don't want to be tied down to a release date translates as they don't want to keep saying "release date postponed". Of course they have priorities about BM: S, but unless they set a deadline they're never going to release it.

I'm not saying you should care, but maybe the dev team should.

The dev team have internal schedules, milestones, and deadlines, they just aren't telling us them because they don't want to get hopes up on a release date they might miss. If the site hadn't gotten nuked I could link you to where Carlos the project head told us this.