Pre-Disaster Planning Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hi guys!

I wanted to know if there is already someone doing the "Power UP" and "On a Rail" chapters, because I want to do them.
      I've done a bit of "Power Up", to be able to learn how to use Hammer, and I'm pretty satisfied with the progress.
      On "On a Rail", I want to do the Uncut version. I've already taken a look at their mapsrc files and I've had some ideas.

Here some pictures of the progress on "Power Up" to give you an idea of how it's going so far. All images are WIP.

Display Spoiler

Entrance point of the chapter, with lighting restored. I'll still put some things on the shelves.

Display Spoiler
      Here i only removed the debris of the fight and the military box, but i'm thinking about to putting more objects.

Display Spoiler
      The collapsed staircase fixed.
    • Looking good, but have you gotten to lighting yet? Overall I think you could do a lot with just making the lights brighter and paler, but I can already spot a potential area where you might want to create a brighter replacement texture- the concrete on the walls, between the green strips.
      Pre-Disaster Planning Thread: Thinking of Restoring a Part of Black Mesa? Come Here First!

Office Complex PD: I'm the Slowest Pre-Disaster Mapper!

Pre-Disaster Questionable Ethics: It's here!
    • Ah. I had kind of the opposite problem with Office Complex:

I'd suggest playing with the settings in mat_monitorgamma_tv_<stuff>. Those can be controlled independently of the options-menu gamma (represented by the console variable mat_monitorgamma with no "TV" part), and can be enabled or disabled all at once and even bound to keys.
      Pre-Disaster Planning Thread: Thinking of Restoring a Part of Black Mesa? Come Here First!

• Requirements to VA?

I heard there may be a possibility for custom voice acting in the PDP later on down the line. I'd like to know what basic requirements are necessary for someone interested. 'cause I would like to chip in, but I don't really know what the minimum requirement is for this.
    • Basically you need to be able to do a convincing scientist or Barney. There's already a person I've contacted about voice work so far, but it's always good to have more than one voice.

In theory this will be possible once Xen is out, assuming the devs are still on track with their fix for custom scripts not working post-Steampipe.

• Hey, so I was wondering if I could take the position for a map in Surface Tension. bm_c2a5c. I know it's only one map (and quite specific), but hey, personal preference I guess. Anyways, all I really have to show for at this moment is just a catwalk I fixed up and that's about it, but I plan to do much more work on the map to clean it up and add some detail.
      Display Spoiler

Before:

After:

Of course I don't have much to show for yet. Just posting this here to hopefully make sure no conflicts occur with future Surface Tension development.
    • Alrighty. And, one more thing. It seems there haven't been any updates on PD Blast Pit in over a year (at least on the blast pit restoration thread) and I was curious about the status of that, since it's one of my favorite chapters in the game. Seems like there's a considerabe amount of planning and thought put into the chapter over some others, and I was wondering if there has been any progress.
    • I was originally waiting for Frag to get back to me on some things, but it looks like he's left the project. I might return to it in the distant future as a solo project, but at the moment I can't really say it's being developed.

• Admiral Sakai wrote:

Well, work on the new areas of G map is progressing pretty well. I got hung up for a couple of days on entity logic, but now that's been resolved and the new "CLASSIFIED" labs are looking just wonderful.

The basic idea I ended up going with is that these are the labs that generate those red lasers we see in all of the "AUX" rooms, by bombarding Xenian dilithium crystals just like the ones we are... painfully familiar with from Anomalous Materials.

The machine in the center is mostly repurposed and reoriented props from other parts of Questionable Ethics and one from Anomalous Materials, with a little bit of brushwork slapped on to make them less immediately recognizable. I'm pretty proud of it, but at some point I'd really really like to get a custom model made- a new crystal, too, since the shader on this one prevents us from actually seeing any of the beams colliding inside of it (I'm TECHNICALLY able to change the crystal texture myself, but there's no telling how it would end up looking).

On a side note, I think I've figured out what some of the acronyms on the Questionable Ethics map board actually mean- it helps to know what's inside the labs they refer to. "CES Chamber" probably stands for "Containment Environment Simulation", "Controlled Environment Simulation", or something else similar, while "EHT Chamber" probably stands for "Environmental Hazard Testing" since there's no way they have fire, gas, and electrical discharges (with what seem like multiple differing options) on one containment unit unless it's part of the experiment. They can probably change up the temperature, pressure, etc. in there too (wonder if this was used to test HEV suits as well, since I always thought those were actually developed in Black Mesa).
      In the ARG, these areas were pointed out as private rooms, requested by Dr. Horn for his unclassified experiments (the HALOS AI and etc) and that these rooms are locked 24/7. They were probably marked as AUX in the map to prevent further suspicion between all personnel, may it be science or security. Because who wants to tell anyone you've been working on an AI for the past months while eating slices of pizza and probably confusing everyone in the ARG?
    • Now, I wanted to mess around with the Residue Processing chapter a bit. I've been looking around, finding a lot of military crates/boxes. My question is, they couldn't have possibly riddled the entire facility with these boxes within hours of time after the invasion. Could some of these military crates and containers have been in the facility before the incident? Judging by the fact that the facility is government run, and because of how high-security it is, I'm presuming there would be some minor military prescence regardless of the situation. I'm not exactly sure though, and this thread is great at discussing the inner workings of the BMRF, so hey.

• I think there's a good possibility that much of what we see surrounding the hangar in Surface Tension was military-purposed. The Lambda Complex and other areas dealing directly with Xenians also likely had a disproportionate amount of military weapons and hardware.

My general rule of thumb is that stuff that's actually stored properly was native to Black Mesa, while stuff that's just piled up in the middle of rooms was likely brought in by the military.