Plans of Opposing Force Remake for Black Mesa

• I'm currently using this account to talk to you guys..

I was planning to extend the Administration Offices by adding a few areas to walk to before the collapsed ceiling part since it looks very weird. There are only 2 offices in the area and it doesn't make sense at all.. I was extending it for game play and for starters... I was only planning to only recreate the first 4 chapters of Opposing Force due to nonavailability of Xen in BM...

I was planning to extend it from the one on the first part into something like
      Images
      • Untitled.png

20.54 kB, 1,123×611, viewed 35 times
      • Untitled.png

28.93 kB, 700×818, viewed 34 times
    • I like this idea; maybe have some completely unopenable or blocked doors at the end of the conference room corridor and the far end of the office room (or somewhere else) to suggest that the complex extends for even more than the player can see.
      Pre-Disaster Planning Thread: Thinking of Restoring a Part of Black Mesa? Come Here First!

Office Complex PD: I'm the Slowest Pre-Disaster Mapper!

Pre-Disaster Questionable Ethics: It's here!
    • shingeki_is_real wrote:

I'm back and here's again another screenshot of the same room.. Feel free to roast me and my skills, again.

I added props and a replacement for the destructable projector screen on the original room and I've protected myself from total roasting this time around.
      Uploading the pic is very slow and it ends up worse. so link to my 3rd Tumblr blog with seriously 2 followers where u can find the pic:
      dai-ichi-kokou-sentai-k.tumblr.com/image/159031214319
    • Looking at the conference room since the maintenance(?) area seems to just be one big NODRAW section at the moment:

1. I am not sure what texture, exactly, you are using for the ceilings, but it's not one of the regular Black Mesa ones and it looks rather strange. Office areas in BM typically use one of the textures in the tile/fifties_ceiling<some number> family, very rarely a heavily downscaled tile/ceilingtiles01 texture.
      2. Additionally, the fluorescent lights do not appear to be aligned to the tiles.
      3. You have a number of relatively bright, quadratic lights positioned very close to the light props, producing these blinding circular halos and leaving the rest of the room relatively dark. For bright lights, it is best to move them some distance from the prop that is supposed to be emitting them to prevent this from occurring.
      4. Just in general, let's talk about lighting. In the original Half-Life, Office Complex had very bright, even whitish lighting except for areas where the lights were broken, which got very dark very quickly: this was very effective at making the area feel soulless and institutional, and also communicating the fact that it was all deep underground. In Opposing Force the lighting stayed even and pale, but the areas where lights were broken were much brighter and warmer- the same institutional feel, but now indicating the player was much closer to the surface (the conference room in particular looked pretty much like it would have before the disaster). Black Mesa took a very different approach and made all the lights very dim and very blue, which made the maps look 'grimier' and more damaged (playing up the fact that it had been hit hard by the systems failures caused by the disaster) but at the same time less claustrophobic.
        I am not at all sure what feeling or tone you are trying to set here, which tells me some additional thinking and planning on that topic is badly needed. Is this area supposed to look relatively untouched by the disaster, or is it supposed to have been completely wrecked? Is it supposed to be near the surface, or deep underground? Is it supposed to follow Half-Life's take on the offices, or Black Mesa's, or something else entirely? Try to come up with answers to these questions and create a lighting scheme that matches the tone you are going for.

5. Weird, empty bookcases look weird and empty. Why are bookcases even in a conference room to begin with?
      6. There are no chairs or other small detail elements, even though the addition of enemies and fire alarms, etc. implies the area to be relatively "finished".
      7. When there are props in front of them the wood-paneled walls don't look terrible as a detail element, but when exposed they really show as not being of the same quality as Black Mesa's own textures. More to the point, they clash oddly with the cinderblock support pillars. Your building walls out of two different brushes with two different segments is a perfectly valid strategy, it's just that one of the textures you are using is simply not ready for prime time.
        I would really consider just using the same textures as elsewhere in Office Complex- failing that, try mixing together some other textures from the "lab" and "office" sections that are of better quality.
      8. I really don't know what's going on with that projector screen. Why are there blueprints on it? More importantly, why are there six very bright, very blue lights shining on it? If you want to have some sort of projected schematic, I'd suggest putting a very thin func_brush in front of it and messing around with the render modes.

Pre-Disaster Planning Thread: Thinking of Restoring a Part of Black Mesa? Come Here First!

Office Complex PD: I'm the Slowest Pre-Disaster Mapper!

Pre-Disaster Questionable Ethics: It's here!
    • I strongly suggest combing through Office Complex and really studying its design language carefully, with the finest tooth comb that you have. What you have here is a nice first attempt but its ultimately very sloppy and unfocussed. Admiral Sakai covered it nicely but I can see about 5 additional points that I think are off, which I'm sure that he just didn't mention to save space and time. I don't say this to discourage you - take this as a challenge that you will be able to rise above.
      Chon Kemp - Level Designer and Community Manager
      Creator of the Black Mesa "Uncut" Mods - Surface Tension Uncut and
      On a Rail Uncut
      My dev blog on the development of dm_gasworks
    • TextFAMGUY1 wrote:

I strongly suggest combing through Office Complex and really studying its design language carefully, with the finest tooth comb that you have. What you have here is a nice first attempt but its ultimately very sloppy and unfocussed. Admiral Sakai covered it nicely but I can see about 5 additional points that I think are off, which I'm sure that he just didn't mention to save space and time. I don't say this to discourage you - take this as a challenge that you will be able to rise above.
      Yeah, thanks @TextFAMGUY1, i'm wearing a fire hazard suit.. so you and @AdmiralSakai roasty thoughts can't burn me.. and thanks! :thumbsup:
    • shingeki_is_real wrote:

Admiral Sakai wrote:

5. Weird, empty bookcases look weird and empty. Why are bookcases even in a conference room to begin with?
      Books, Records, Research and stolen memes from Aperture Science...
      @TextFAMGUY1, @AdmiralSakai, btw, I've been doing the idea thing you've been telling me.. and I'm starting to re-texture and modify things..
      I think conference rooms should have more administrative things. Bookcases should be left to the research or archives people.
      The printer looks off as well, but eh what do I know about stuff
      <placeholder signature>
    • @TextFAMGUY1, if you've had a friend request from some guy in Facebook with a yellow profile pic, that's me...
      I just sent you a friend request so I can send easily send photos of my ideas for checking it. Thx and if you don't want to just don't accept the friend request. I'm from the Phil. and some of my posts is random rants in my home language.

Anyway, I'm doing what you guys told me. So i restarted the idea. and theres more added time for me to make the map.
    • New

*ANNOUNCEMENT*

Well then, I'm back after being stuck in home prison for 4 weeks. And the project is not dead, I REPEAT: NOT DEAD!

Been planning areas and puzzles for maps since I was stuck in home prison only with low wifi so I never got the chance to use that computer in some Internet Cafe near our place.
      Anyways @TextFAMGUY1, forget the thing above about a Facebook friend request. And been talking with @snark567 (is this you Hristo?) about plans for the maps and things for the remake.

Anyways, I'll just make another thread about this since this place is now turned into a tutorial video about using Hammer.