General Xen Chit-Chat Thread

I believe on the first xen level you had a “natural” healing pond that made a weird noise and that had particles, so it wasn’t easy to miss. But even if you did miss it, it wasn’t a huge deal as there weren’t a lot of enemies and you were mostly platforming and exploring.

Later levels then showed vorts using the healing showers that had similar sounds and particles.

0 Likes

Well funnily enough you say from a distance… Something that could work is having an observation / wildlife hide with binoculars.

But considering vorts or Agrunts as far as i am aware don’t have injured animations this explaination of healing pools has become rather excessive and I feel out of scope.

All i was trying to do was explain them healing pools quick and easy and you would still fight the houndete after it got better anyway. Because it crosses you after you give it sympathy anyway. Mexican stand off type of affair.

Nuff said.

0 Likes

Just realized something, wasn’t Ronster perm banned from the forums for bad ideas, and reporting none bugs as bugs?

0 Likes

It really does not matter now, the game is practically finished.

4 Likes

The healing pools are introduced in Half-Life in a way that lets the player discover how they work. You see some oddly colored water with particles coming off of it, and an angelic, inviting tone is playing from it. Of course that gets a player’s curiosity, so they step in, and find out it heals them.
Half-Life is a series that’s at its best when it lets the players do what they want and discover things for themselves. You’re not spoon-fed information like in some modern shooters.

Take the friendly vorts in Xen for example. The only way you can know they’re friendly is if you take a moment to realize they’re not attacking you, instead of going in guns-ablaze. You’re not shown a cutscene of the vorts seeing Gordon and not attacking, and you’re not given a “Entering Neutral Territory” message or anything like that. It’s all for players to discover, and it’s better that way.

But for the sake of argument, I could totally see that limping houndeye being given the lowered gun treatment, like when Gordon looks at a scientist or guard. You can still shoot, but the gun’s not in their face, indicating friendliness.

3 Likes

Regarding the healing pools, the bms.fgd file in the bin folder defines an entity named “env_xen_healpool”. There is a reference to a model “models/props_Xen/xen_healingpool_full.mdl”, and a parameter called healRate (Healing Rate).

3 Likes

odds from the steamforums shared this dev post.

0 Likes

What does this picture mean? I don’t know much about the meme, is it related to Xen?

0 Likes

That´s the actor who poses as Anatoly Dyatlov in tv-series Chernobyl. Dyatlov is one of those responsible for the accident.

1 Like

Great docudrama. There’s also a 5 part podcast that covers the Chernobyl catastrophe in more depth along with the show.

0 Likes

UPDATE!

4 Likes

NEW ATTACK… and it scares me.

0 Likes

Looking down at ground it seems to be gap between displacements. Looks like maps still needs some polish to do.

0 Likes

I’m ready for the delay, come on!:rofl:

1 Like

I hated those babies in the original.

0 Likes

Why They literally did 0 damage as long as you have 1 power on the HEV.

0 Likes

That’s a cable. Map is very polished, because I polished it myself. There are no gaps in displacements there.

7 Likes

Thanks for all the work you guys have been doing. We are Jack’s excitement.

Bonus points if you get the movie reference.

0 Likes

I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise (at the quality of CC’s work, can’t wait to finally play!)

3 Likes

The developer branch in steamdb get a new update about 11 hours ago, the build ID is now 3917279.

4 Likes