Post your 'puter

Trolls being trolls, oldfags being oldfags, just like the old time. You don’t see many GN members anymore though.

Specs:

Here’s my PC!

Dual-boot, Windows 7 (for gaming) and Windows XP (for work)

Antec 1200 case
LG M2762D 27" monitor
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
Logitech G9x Gaming Mouse
Logitech Z623 Speaker System
Logitech C910 Webcam

Unfortunately, the stuff inside the case is aging (about 3 years old).
Intel E8400 Core2Duo @ 3 Ghz w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Air Cooler
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Motherboard
Corsair 750W PSU
4GB GSkill DDR2 RAM @1066 MHz
Nvidia GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition
ASUS Xonar DX sound card
1TB WD Caviar Black
500GB WD Caviar Black
Plextor PX-880SA CD/DVD reader/burner
LITE-ON iHES212-08 Blu-Ray reader

That’s one of the best pc configs I’ve seen. Everything fits together perfect. I also loved that case once but I kinda hate side windows now.

edit: But wait, wtf is wrong with the cpu cooler direction. It’s blowing downward? It should blow to the top or the left.

Hmm, I always thought it was blowing air up…is it wrong?

Actually you’re right, I took the side panel off and now that I look, I have the airflow down. Boy I’m stupid :confused: I swore I installed the fan with airflow up but I guess I made a mistake. It doesn’t really seem to matter for my CPU anyway since I get 33 C idle and 40 C load. It was 10-20 C higher before I bought the cooler. But that may explain why the graphics card keeps getting hot…LOL. I will fix that ASAP.

The side panel is a preference. I just like seeing the innards of my computer - all of that technology is really beautiful.

Wut.

Get some cable management going to really make the most of that window! :3

I’ve done the best cable management possible, but unfortunately some of the power cords coming from the PSU are too short to run them behind the back panel, reach back around, and plug in. That’s the drawback of having such an enormous case.

I have 90% of the cables running behind the back panel, but the two main power cords are too short to do the same. At best I could buy some black electrical tape or something and tape them down to the sides of the case.

I might as well get around to 'putering my posts.

Here is where I sit and waste my life all day.

And this is the actual computer. It sucks.

I want to get a new CPU, and I really need to get some more RAM.

The problem is that before I can do any of those, I need a new motherboard, because this one is old and doesn’t support new socket types/whatever they’re called.

Unfortunately I know barely nothing about building computers and it’s really hard to find anything good.

I’d appreciate some suggestions, if you don’t mind.

I’d be happy to give suggestions for building yourself a new computer! I keep up on all the latest tech, and I’ve built quite a few very solid computers myself.

I’m sure if you create a thread here and simply state your budget…a few members will be clambering over one another to help, thinking their advice is better than the others.

Do you have any idea what your price range is? Do you want Core i3, i5, or i7? Do you want to be future-proof? I.e. be able to upgrade over time?

Edit: To Siggs: I hope you are not insulting me in an underhanded manner. I never think my advice is necessarily better than that of anyone else. I do know, however, that I keep up with all of the latest information, compatibility issues, reviews, spec, etc. of all computer-related technology. I have also built three computers that run perfectly, and by perfectly I mean perfectly. No BSODs, no hardware failures, no software failures, all very fast and all built to the user-specific requirements and budgets. I built my own and it hasn’t had a single crash in its 3 years of operating history. I built a computer for my father’s business and it runs without a hitch and cost only $500. I built a gaming computer for my brother with a budget of $600 and it plays every new game extremely well.

I give tech support to every person I know and if I don’t know something, I research it exhaustively until I can fix it. I have never had a tech problem I can’t fix. I even personally go to their homes to clean and update their computers. I almost run a business - I just don’t charge.

When I built my computer I researched it for 3 months before deciding on the components and pulling out my credit card. I know that thing inside and out, every limitation, every overclocking capability, every detail of the BIOS. I know how to pick extremely solid components, and how to ignore ignorant consumer reviews.

Wow, That’s some really impressive defensive talking there. On edge much?

…it wasn’t even directed at you :stuck_out_tongue:

Heh, sorry :retard:

And yeah, I guess so. My AC is broke and it’s hot as fuck.

But it’s necessary. I have been doing this stuff as a kid and if I look back at my old posts in some other computer forum I could slap my younger self. There is a lot of bullshit going on and good support is always needed.

Geez, yet more misunderstanding and defensiveness. Show me where I said getting advice was bad? It’s just the filtering of who you choose to listen to.

HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT I’M THE HUMBLEST MOTHERFUCKER I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU YOU YOU AO;LSHUITGEQIWUGHLUIXCHGLBKZJXGHLIEWRUGHOLIUDFGXC

:fffuuu: HIT THE DECK PEOPLE

Well, shit, now this is exactly the kind of things I do not know. I’m just gonna go ahead and fire up a new topic and we’ll take it there.

Edit: Here we go. http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?p=469383#post469383

Because they come in standard faggot sizes, no picture of the amazing insides of my iMac, but instead a picture of everything surrounding the iMac (most of it even attached to the iMac, bitches).

Who wears socks indoors, seriously?