Thanks .RK. Will play through it and give you some feedback soon.
Hotfixed due to bug solutions (Thanks Crypt!). Link is still the same.
EDIT: Now on ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/mods/black-mesa-weve-got-hostiles-vent-mod
Awesome job with this.
Hey .RK !
I’m loving your Vent Mod for the WGH level. As with your previous OAR Loop Mod, it’s quality work. Well done.
Here’s my feedback for Vent Mod v1.2RC. As with your OAR Loop mod, some of the issues are not the result of work done by yourself, but exist in the original BMS maps. As usual, it’s up to you if you want to address them or not.
Feedback for Vent Mod v1.2RC
In the Cafeteria Area
- Position the arc emanating from this light http://i.imgur.com/A8aXkbj.jpg closer to the fixture’s body.
- This right-hand door http://i.imgur.com/nYY98ms.jpg has an odd shadow http://i.imgur.com/r7dkLTa.jpg
- The trays on this counter http://i.imgur.com/L3JukgW.jpg are floating http://i.imgur.com/0ndAYs0.jpg
- Smaller objects in the kitchen area (trashcan, pots and pans) have no collision detection, between themselves and the player.
- In this hallway http://i.imgur.com/RNsCl6v.jpg the ammo clips on top of this military crate http://i.imgur.com/I1JIMTC.jpg float above it http://i.imgur.com/DSu1VNp.jpg
- In the same hallway, this fire extinguisher case http://i.imgur.com/fdZ8Gen.jpg does not contact the wall http://i.imgur.com/ZDeJjVI.jpg
- The headcrab that exits the ceiling vent http://i.imgur.com/3pBRXfW.jpg gets hung up on the wall’s electrical boxes http://i.imgur.com/mNWv9Wt.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/TX1rHVf.jpg. It doesn’t attack unless the player is near or on top of the nearby blue crates.
- In the vent that the headcrab exits from http://i.imgur.com/dYTANOr.jpg there’s some odd lighting http://i.imgur.com/dDgTxGA.jpg
- Consider reducing the sweep-range of this camera http://i.imgur.com/uAtkffm.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/1mK0jD8.jpg from 180 degrees to 60 or 90 degrees.
- In this area http://i.imgur.com/G3bq7V9.jpg this fire extinguisher case doesn’t contact the wall http://i.imgur.com/cBcHOSh.jpg
- In the same hallway http://i.imgur.com/uNZ3EqA.jpg the player can clip through this wooden skid http://i.imgur.com/Rw493FL.jpg
- In the same hallway http://i.imgur.com/FjyTGNk.jpg consider using a double-door model where the hinges are the same on both sides http://i.imgur.com/Q6Eu4xX.jpg. Do the same for any other double-door sets.
- The objects in this corner are floating above the ground http://i.imgur.com/6NE0xjr.jpg
- The lighting on these military crates is overly dark http://i.imgur.com/v47POEm.jpg
- Another fire extinguisher case http://i.imgur.com/HV3wCbi.jpg that’s floating in mid air http://i.imgur.com/bn5MU9U.jpg
- This zombie in the vent http://i.imgur.com/79M9Q31.jpg unless you go up and hit it with a crowbar.
- This wall vent should not be intact http://i.imgur.com/XIFK6vF.jpg. It was previously destroyed when the zombie dragged the security guard into the vent.
- In this area http://i.imgur.com/uwyNDyu.jpg this handrail http://i.imgur.com/QvSkAt4.jpg has gaps http://i.imgur.com/C5rDzki.jpg
- Consider centering this red wall light http://i.imgur.com/mq8xNJD.jpg
In the Warehouse Area
- This upper military crate http://i.imgur.com/k7AEtKk.jpg is floating above the lower one http://i.imgur.com/ZNJxZwe.jpg
- The side of the stairwell http://i.imgur.com/9KdtKyW.jpg is missing part of its texture http://i.imgur.com/TFrGHy5.jpg
- This handrail http://i.imgur.com/NDXH4T9.jpg has gaps in it http://i.imgur.com/zW8R2Ix.jpg
- In this upper room http://i.imgur.com/WQhSKeS.jpg this military crate http://i.imgur.com/v8rPgQs.jpg clips into the shelving http://i.imgur.com/mdZQbk3.jpg
- Likewise, in the adjacent room http://i.imgur.com/nAYaunV.jpg this military crate http://i.imgur.com/8SeZKiZ.jpg clips into the shelving http://i.imgur.com/6xEgZYh.jpg
- In this area http://i.imgur.com/eFK903B.jpg there’s another military crate floating in mid air http://i.imgur.com/hmqdDSs.jpg
- There are a host of clipping issues with the military crates in the warehouse area http://i.imgur.com/TAcqVzt.jpg. Feel free to venture through them and correct the more flagrant ones… or not.
In The Area Outside The Warehouse
- The end of this concrete curb http://i.imgur.com/WjL5uQx.jpg is missing its texture http://i.imgur.com/zci1e9R.jpg
- The archway on this blast door http://i.imgur.com/0t0Zrj5.jpg is out of alignment http://i.imgur.com/qehlQY5.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/UbVFHpm.jpg
- There’s a portion of this barrier’s support leg http://i.imgur.com/zLv3M4F.jpg that’s missing http://i.imgur.com/G9xwL6r.jpg
- This concrete barrier clips into the curb http://i.imgur.com/SBDsgMw.jpg
In The Lower Area
- All the hallway ceiling lights http://i.imgur.com/6PuJiOm.jpg do not contact the ceiling http://i.imgur.com/9qm3icl.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/tHqnIrs.jpg
- In the ventilation shaft, there’s a piece of debris floating in mid air http://i.imgur.com/bigsiZS.jpg
- The uppermost barnacle http://i.imgur.com/3NshGLi.jpg partially clips into the ceiling http://i.imgur.com/m0PVHpv.jpg which also causes a texture z-fighting issue.
- A couple of the other barnacles are positioned such that their textures extend beyond the edges of the walkways that they’re attached to. They both need to be shifted slightly:
a) http://i.imgur.com/dJgTwRT.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/EKC2LCN.jpg
b) http://i.imgur.com/stmGfbb.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/onYPptD.jpg
That’s it for now.
I’m pretty sure a large majority of those are Black Mesa’s fault.
As mentioned in my intro comments.
Great work Rk, this is looking prety good!
So I see you fixed the problem with the vent’s bulletholes great job! But could you make them slightly brighter?
As for the zombie that killed the guard, great way of implementing it there, but the zombie seems to only take damage from the crowbar, he doesn’t give a damn about bullets. Maybe you could actually make him fall to the ground so he can actually fight back, and maybe add a lot of blood in the vent from the now dead security guard.
Finally, the soldiers really need some arguments with the scientists, even for the reactions that you added from the soldiers looking confused if the scientist gets shot, and they panicking and shooting them if one of them dies.
Good job with the RC of the Vent Mod, .RK. That new area is really good. Now for a little bit of feedback.
Feedback for Vent Mod (Release Candidate)
- I believe there’s still a little bit of cubemap issues with the A map because the lights in this area tend to go from dim to bright below this vent. It also looks kind of off as well.
- When looking through the glass windows with the scientist and the shotgun, it looks kind of off. Also lights tend to go from dim to bright in there as well.
- Can you make sure the lighting of these objects in the end of map c1a3a look consistent with the first Blast Pit map?
I’ll leave the bug chasing to my fellow gamers here, since I hardly notice any bug like the last time where light reflection was quite weird.
Anyway, I enjoyed the new additions and current length of the WGH chapter. I’ll just have some suggestions:
- For the large vent shaft you made (third map), you should add a fan on the ceiling too, to make it look like it is connected to the surface at some point.
- For the zombie falling down in the vent (when going back to the chapter’s first map), you should add some noise like the one used for the player’s footsteps inside vents, for a more dramatic effect instead of a silent scare jump. Apprehension can be better than complete surprise.
- Finally for the zombie in the vents at Silo D’s security station, I would have suggested to have it hidden at the end of the vent, though having it waiting for you at one of the entrances was kinda funny too.
Ok I tried out your Mod and I think it is great the pacing is good the right amount of enemies and I can tell you put a lot of thought in to it and it plays very well.
I have one suggestion but I will appreciate that if it’s not something you want to do then fine no problem here goes.
The Layout of the main vent shaft works ever so well and I see that you added a prop fan at the bottom on the floor. What i was trying to tell you was that this fan should be a barrier to the end point goal of the final vent below some deadly blades that would make a menacing sound. Looking at your layout my suggestion is that you can only go so far as the second from last vent before simply falling on to the fan. To get to the ladder to get past the blades you have to jump from a ledge higher up to that ladder so as to make your way onwards and crawl under the blades to the vent. Or alternatively you could have a Ladder shaft that is hidden behind a wall that you jump to higher up like a maintenance access.
One last thought adding an animated small vent fan on the ceiling in one of the vents would give a slight bit of variation to the vents but that is just aesthitics and nothing more.
Brilliant work I thought it was great!!!
Glad to see that everyone is enjoying it, although my lazy-ass probably doesn’t deserve the praise.
I’m not seeing a lot of bug reports on the new sections so I’m really really happy about that. There’s one or two, yes, but they’re for the most part minor. We’re in great shape here.
I’d love some general thoughts on the new room with this release. Did that play well for everyone? Are there any layout changes needed? Decoration changes? Let me know!
Onto some replies:
Thanks for the feedback as always. Most of this stuff though is dev sections, and I’m waiting to see if it gets fixed in BM’s next release (if that’s soon that is). As for all the stuff you mentioned in the new sections, that’ll all be sorted out. You can count on it!
The zombie is a bit wonky. I too had problems with hitting him, and it might because zombie torso’s just aren’t coded to take hitscan damage from underneath. I don’t know. I will work on that entire scene though.
As far as the bulletholes go, you bet. They could probably be a bit more obvious.
The soldiers/scientists scene is a bit up in the air though. I might have the commander trying to do something but that’s about it.
There’s a good reason for that. If I want to do a scene there, I’d have to do choreography. If I want to add choreography I’ll need to package a scenes.image. If I package a scenes.image, that would break surface tension uncut and the hazard course mod (the latter is not public, btw), unless you know how to rebuild a scenes.image file.
I don’t want to do that, because it’s too much work for the downloader.
Don’t get me wrong - I will try to breathe some life into the scene in the final version, but don’t expect anything too impressive.
- I honestly forgot to put a cubemap there. It’s already been fixed in the editor.
- Dunno about that one bro.
- Interestingly, it acts that way in the stock BM maps. Plus, it’s stock areas, so I’m not touching them at the moment.
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll just address what hasn’t been mentioned yet.
- I’ve added a fan at the top as you and Ronster suggested.
- I think I’ll leave the falling zombie as is, because quite honestly when I designed that scene, the sudden zombie wasn’t supposed to be the scary part
Thanks for the suggestion, though I won’t be using it.
There have been quite a few times where I’ve considered making a fan obstacle within the shaft itself, or even any sort of puzzle within the shaft, but ultimately passed it up since I’m trying to design these sections as being the breather after the storm. I mean, the entire surface is a hell-hole and it’s still early on, so I don’t want the make the players too tired!
Hopefully this logic somewhat makes sense. I’m pretty sure I’m doing a bad job of detailing my thoughts but that is the general jist of it.
i want it to be released so bad -_-
yeah but isnt there still some small issues?
thats why im holding back
I don’t believe the current issues are enough to negatively impact play experience. As far as I’m concerned, they’re extremely playable maps.
And besides, I have no plans on making any updates until I get can my hands on the source files, which who knows when that will be?
So we wont see any RC2 or 1.0 anytime soon? How about the small fixes/updates you’ve already mentioned? (cubemap, the added fan etc)
Waiting for BM’s next release could take a while. It could be out tomorrow, It could be out in three months
Otherwise Thanks for a great addon to an already fantastic mod
I suppose if I must…
[COLOR=‘Red’]RELEASE CANDIDATE 2[/SIZE]
You can find it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lortflu9g82z4r/VentMod.zip
Something like that anyways. Ya’ll know the drill.
I’ll update ModDB tomorrow.
Cool. Will give you some feedback after I play through it tomorrow.
Well everything’s looking great, there really is nothing much to address now.
Nice improvements with the soldiers, the only thing that I find anoying is the fact that if you come with the flashlight on they turn automattically to shoot at you, but that’s black mesa, i presume there’s nothing much you can do.
Maybe you could add some reaction to the scientists if they survive the shots from the grunts.
Finally, at the end of the chapter at the room with the scientist, the lights keep switching from really bright, to really low, is it due to cubemaps or sth?
Or you could simply set the Scientist’ hp to 1 and problem is most likely solved. Not even Gordon can save everyone.